Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

F150 Lack of Power Under Load [FIXED]

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #11319 by jcsloan
1999 F150 4.2l 2wd with 311,000 miles. It's my everyday vehicle that I use back and forth to work sites. It was running great up until a couple of months ago when it started to lose power on acceleration under load. It has become increasingly worse in the past weeks. It usually only happens when I run the truck for an extended period of time. My travel times average around 1 1/2 - 2 hrs highway with some start and stop city driving. On inclines I some times cannot get it to go faster than 10-20 mph. I have a second gen Modis scanner that I use for trouble shooting my vehicles. I just want to say I'm not a professional mechanic by no means, more a student. I have Pauls book and have been watching all the videos. I would appreciate any of your knowledgeable input as to what direction to head to trouble shoot this issue. Some of the things that I've done so far are; Replaced plugs, wires and coil (coil was original ), fuel injectors were replaced at 209,000 miles, Fuel pump about a year ago, fuel pressure regulator last week. I've also run a cylinder contribution test, using the Modis, while driving back and forth to work. It consistently showed cylinder #3 and #4 at -14 to -17 when the loss of power occurs. Any help on this would greatly be appreciated.

The reason I"m here . . . 1999 Ford F150 4.2L 2wdr w/300,000+ miles
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by jcsloan.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 9 months ago #11320 by Ben
What do your maf readings look like at idle and at wide open throttle while driving

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

More
6 years 9 months ago #11321 by Ben
Also what does your front 02s say under same conditions as maf test

More
6 years 9 months ago #11322 by Ben
If possible I'd like to see these tested when it's acting up but may be able to get something useful out of it even while it's running ok

More
6 years 9 months ago #11383 by jcsloan
Circled area is at WOT. This doesn't always happen. Checking mode $06 Test Id $53 I found cylinder 3 with 218 misfires and cylinder 4 with 436 misfires. Hopes this helps.

Attachments:

More
6 years 9 months ago #11395 by Tyler
Nice capture! Seeing the MAF get to 4V eliminates a lot of potential suspects.

Also, good idea checking Mode $06. ;-) On a hunch, I Googled the firing order for this engine:

Cylinder #3 and #4 are companions, and share the same primary circuit in the ignition coil. Its just a guess, but there could be a primary issue going on that's causing weak/no spark to those two cylinders.

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #11402 by jcsloan
#3 cylinder secondary waveform . . . At idle.

Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by jcsloan. Reason: Attached pic

More
6 years 9 months ago #11422 by Ben
Can you scope the primary current for that coil?

More
6 years 8 months ago #12309 by davisman101
Your title has [FIXED]??
i am lost what was the fix?

More
6 years 8 months ago #12321 by jcsloan
Second set of wires for the fix. Originally replaced wires and plugs before I switched out the coil. Seems that somehow the coil burned out a set of wires, cylinders 3 and 4. When tested with an ohm meter both tested open. Found this intermittent fault while moving the wires while scoping the secondary on 3 and 4.

Time to create page: 0.228 seconds