Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

1997 buick lesabre series 2 intermittent crank no start.

More
1 week 4 days ago - 1 week 4 days ago #65481 by Jzap574
So last year I bought a 1997 buick lesabre custom with about 76,000 miles. Drove it home, about 500 miles no problem, I had the freon filled because it was low. Shorty afterwards, it starting cutting off. So I had the alternator changed, drove it for a couple miles and stopped at o reilly s for a couple minutes. Came outside and it was cranking but it wouldn't start. We changed the fuel pump and still couldn't get it to start. I literally left the car there for about a week out of frustration. I came back and it started right up. An electronic mechanic told me it was the alternator harness . So he rewired it to stay on but the problem persist. This happens when the car is at operating temp. Also I live in south texas so during the high heat/summer is when the problem starts. It runs good when I'm on the highway ,but when Im driving in the city/stop and go or idling at heavy traffic red lights it will turn off. Please help, running out options. I bought this car thinking this motor the 3800's were fairly simple to fix but I was mistaken. 
Last edit: 1 week 4 days ago by Jzap574.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 4 days ago - 1 week 4 days ago #65487 by Chad

It runs good when I'm on the highway ,but when Im driving in the city/stop and go or idling at heavy traffic red lights it will turn off.

My first thought is a dirty throttle-body. If it gets too dirty, it will not allow enough air past the throttle plate, at idle.

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
Last edit: 1 week 4 days ago by Chad.

More
1 week 4 days ago #65491 by IaintYerPaw82
i had one do this a couple weeks ago, it ended up being the crank sensor. Intermittently wouldnt crank after getting hot, let it cool off and it would crank again.  i had to use a labscope to verify i wasnt getting one of the 2 crank signals to the Ignition Control Module. Replaced the crank sensor and it was fixed.

More
1 week 4 days ago #65492 by Jzap574
Appreciate the advice, ill take look thank you.

Time to create page: 0.218 seconds