Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2002 Honda Civic EX Not Chargining

More
1 week 4 days ago - 1 week 4 days ago #65480 by dkgrandstaff
This is my first post here. I am new to automotive oscillioscopes, so any input would be helpful. I have a 2002 Honda Civic that is not charging under load. At idle, the alternator maintains that battery at 12.6V, pretty standard for Honda's low output mode. I scoped the alternator field control wire at the alternator and the ECM and noticed that under load, I have these voltage spike on the leading edge of the square wave. I turned off all the loads, and periodically, I see these huge voltage spikes (from 0-12V) on every ground: Coil, block, body, ecm, you name it. 

1. Could this cause the no charge issue? 
2. Should I be looking for a bad ground? 

Image 1: alternator field control at ECM 
Image 2: red: coil ground, green: body ground
Image 2: red: alternator field control at ECM, green: frame ground. 

I look forward to your input. 

Attachments:
Last edit: 1 week 4 days ago by dkgrandstaff.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 4 days ago - 1 week 4 days ago #65488 by Chad
Images 2 & 3:
Ignition coil strikes blast a high amount of voltage, up to 40,000 volts, into the engine block. This strike can be seen in most waveforms. You will learn to ignore it.  (If it doesn't sync up with a coil strike, then it may be something to investigate.)

Image 1:
I cannot say, for sure, if the voltage spike on the field control is normal, or not. I suspect that, maybe, it is. Maybe, someone more familiar with Honda can answer that.  

Do you have a scan tool to observe the ELD pid?

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
Last edit: 1 week 4 days ago by Chad.

More
1 week 4 days ago #65494 by dkgrandstaff
I do

Idle
Bat V = 12.4v
ELD sensor output = 8.87V
Duty cycle 95%

Under load:
Bat V = 8.9V
ELD sensor output= 21.49V
Duty cycle 95%

For a few seconds after the load is removed

Bat V = 14.7v
ELD sensor output = 8.87
Duty cycle 25%

Time to create page: 0.192 seconds