Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Ckp relearn

More
6 years 10 months ago #11141 by Rolexservice
Ckp relearn was created by Rolexservice
Hi Paul I have a question about doing a crank relearn. The vehicle is a 1997 Chevy k2500 with 7.4 sfi vortec 4l80e transmission. I am getting conflicting info on this subject. My question is does this pcm need to have a crank relearn done after an engine replacement? Now the conflicting info part is some say it is merely running the rpms at 1200 and dialing in the cam retard to +-2* by turning the distributor (which I'm understanding is only a cam correlation) and some info says this ckp relearn is performed by initiating a relearn with a tech2 scanner and following the scanner directions which basically is stomping the throttle till cut out and then releasing and the scanner does the rest... On this year and model what is the correct procedure for a ckp relearn?? Also what are your thoughts on the tech2 scanners being offered online from China!? Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago #11142 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Re:Ckp relearn
This can be performed with most any bi directional control scan tool such as the otc or snap on. I would stay far away from any Chinese clone scanner!also I believe what your actually relearning is more to do with the cam to crank correlation and how much play is in the timing chain (I may be wrong on that part others may be able to clarify)

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

More
6 years 10 months ago #11151 by Rolexservice
Replied by Rolexservice on topic Re:Ckp relearn
Thank you for your reply Ben. I'm using an old snap on brick mt2500 on this vehicle. If I trick the scanner into thinking it's a '98 instead of '97 it shows me an option for a ckp relearn (which won't activate) but the '97 does not show a ckp relearn. I wasn't sure if it was that my scanner won't perform it and I have to use a tech2 because it's the way GM set it up and then changed it in '98 to allow other scanners to access that part of the pcm. Or was it that the '97 had a distributor hold down that did have slight adjustment and could be used to do a cam correlation where as the '98 had a hold down that was not adjustable therefore had to be done through a scanner and was referred to as a ckp relearn. Or is the ckp relearn different all together from the cam/crank correlation and is actually for the pcm to learn where the crank shaft position is according to the crankshaft position sensor and the reluctor plate inside the timing cover... I read that if I'm not seeing "any" misfires current or in history on the scanner that a ckp relearn has not been performed... reason for the question is New motor, no lights, no codes, good grounds, scan data looks good.. but low on power, hesitation on light acceleration (almost as if the egr is opening too soon), and slight roughness at idle. New cats and back pressure tested ok. I have not blocked the egr off yet to see if it's weak or opening when it shouldn't I first wanted to be sure it just wasn't a programming issue. Things that are New chasing this problem are.. iac, tps, maf, map, cts, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, injectors and balance tested, fuel filter, pressure regulator, fuel pump (bad check valve). I am starting to lean towards a bad pcm at this point unless it is as simple as it's needs the "relearn" performed and this scanner won't initiate it. Thank you again for any input on this "ckp relearn" GM refers to needing to be performed after any "distributor, engine, crank sensor, or pcm replacement or disconnect.

More
6 years 10 months ago #11152 by Rolexservice
Replied by Rolexservice on topic Re:Ckp relearn
This is what I'm finding but my scanner just won't initiate this process..
my.cardone.com/techdocs/PT%2070-77-0003.pdf

More
6 years 10 months ago #11160 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Re:Ckp relearn
Could be a different protocol between 97 and 98 but either way I doubt it would give you your symptoms. I also doubt your ecm is doing it either I think we need to go back to basics when road testing wide open throttle first gear what does your o2s1 say does it go full rich and stay there the whole time? What is your maf readings at idle and at wide open throttle first gear?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

More
6 years 9 months ago #11520 by Rockyroad
Replied by Rockyroad on topic Ckp relearn
97' does NOT do relearn. Make sure your lifters aren't ticking or any other knocking clanging sounds. Look at knock sensor counts, that will open your egr and retard timing making it lame

Someday I'll figure this out

Time to create page: 0.205 seconds