Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

FIXED stumped ltft lean no vacuum leaks new fuel pump

More
1 month 5 days ago - 1 month 5 days ago #65210 by ron.r
2007 Lincoln Navigator 5.4 3v 96k miles, threw code p2272, I put smoke test, found crack in oil dipstick tube and snorkel/reasonator was  not seated correctly on bottom of intake both fixed and also discovered hose from manifold to vapor solenoid was cracked and I replaced that too thinking it would solve my problems, no dice.  I changed fuel pump in January 2024 with new fuel filter both after market.  Fuel pressure test 58 psi with gauge, solid on idle and WOT might dip every so slightly for a brief moment but nothing obvious.  Changed MAF with good known sensor still lean.  My LTFT at hot idle +6% bank 1 and +8% bank 2 .   If I give any amount of throttle those numbers jump immediately to double that +14% and +16% cruising speed around +17% both banks.  WOT no change numbers stay positive.  STFT vacillate between -3% to +3% at idle.  Upstream Oxygen sensors switching, down stream not so much.  No misfires, no codes, no driveability issues, I've used Torque Pro and Forscan, only thing that seems off is baro reading goes to 15.1 psi, I'm at sea level in Houston, Texas my other cars with same engine have baro at 14.4.  I reset KAM multiple times, defaults to 13.2 psi then slowly climbs  back to 15.1 psi which I find odd.  I thought maybe poor ground to MAF sensor but used jumper wire to ground, still does the same thing.  The ground wire to fuel pump was on rusty frame, I cut the wire and STFT skyrocketed lean, I put new connector and cleaned frame, still same.  I'm super stumped, this vehicle doesn't have that fuel pump drive module on frame.  Any ideas or suggestions welcomed please. I'm out of ideas.  Should also mention MAF reads 5-6 g/s at hot idle.  Vehicle has all new OEM plugs, HV oil pump, guides/tensioners etc, cam phasers...
Last edit: 1 month 5 days ago by ron.r.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 5 days ago - 1 month 5 days ago #65216 by juergen.scholl
A higher baro reading will not lean out the mixture but make it richer. This then is not the cause of your problem.

Fuel pressure spec at idle is 65 to 71 psi and not 58 psi. This is a significant difference and may well be where your high fuel trim originates from. It has not surpassed the treshold for flagging lean mixture codes yet and the pcm is able to maintain proper mixture through the closed loop/O2 sensors feedback

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.
Last edit: 1 month 5 days ago by juergen.scholl.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
1 month 4 days ago #65223 by ron.r
Thanks for that information, I was hoping not to drop the tank again, lol, was hoping for better news. I like this job so much I'm going to do it twice. Motorcraft pump in hand.

More
1 month 4 days ago #65224 by cj1
Check to see if % fuel alcohol content high.
Flex fuel engine?

More
1 month 4 days ago #65228 by ron.r
Not flex fuel.
Can't pull up ethanol content PID is greyed out on Torque pro. My handheld scanner doesnt have that in live data. Not sure about Forscan. I thought about that too, I ran tank down to 5 miles to empty and filled it half way new gas, I usually use Shell but went to different gas Murphys but no change actually maybe slightly worse fuel trims.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cj1

More
1 month 3 days ago #65247 by ron.r
Installed motorcraft pump model PFS1424 fixed the issue, PSI is at 70 on fuel rail consistent. Also the baro came back down to normal 14.4, must be some connection between fuel pump pressure and maf-baro. Took me about 1.5 hours to swap it, worth it, also put motorcraft fuel filter. LTFT at idle 1% and 2% percent respectively and slightly higher at throttle under load. Solved.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, juergen.scholl

More
1 month 2 days ago #65254 by juergen.scholl
Thank you for the update, well done.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

Time to create page: 0.228 seconds