Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Registering Replacement Batteries to Vehicles w/Scantool

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #65035 by rockp2
Today I learned something new (to me) about batteries having to be registered with scantool when being replaced on many newer vehicles.  From what I'm reading a rule of thumb is if the vehicle has auto start-stop the replacement battery needs to be registered so the charging system charges the battery correctly to prevent over/under charging.  If I'm understanding correctly the vehicle charging system adjusts based off if age if battery.

A video stated the battery has to be exact to the one being replaced (meaning capacity, etc).  Is this indeed true?  You can't replace battery with larger capacity, aH, etc and register the battery as such to the vehicle?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
1 month 2 weeks ago #65055 by Noah
That's a good question, I imagine it is different from car to car.
There are plenty of shops willy nilly dropping batteries in cars, I wonder what the consequences of failing to register the new battery or using the wrong battery could be for the car owner.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #65057 by rockp2
From what I'm reading, if I'm grasping correctly, it's a "smart" charging feature that uses the age from the battery register to lower the charge rate as the battery as the battery gets older. I don't think it's doing any type of measuring battery capacity to determine charge. It's based off time and uses as default the original battery capacities, etc...similar to an oil change percentage using crank revolutions.

It looks like it started with BMW several years ago and is quickly being adopted. Sounds like newer Chevy all have it now (that have the "smart" systems). Seems like you'll know if the car needs it done if your scantool (with current updates) has the selection choice. I'll try to find the video I stumbled across that led to me researching more.

Doubt the parts stores are going to be offering battery replacements on those cars for the customers.

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #65058 by rockp2
Here's the video that led me down the rabbit hole.

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #65059 by rockp2

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #65060 by ontheriver
Auto parts stores are starting slowly around here to offer the service. Give it time. I did ask about scanners to retract the rear brake calipers for a brake service and got nowhere, that I hope they will catch up on also

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #65062 by rockp2

Auto parts stores are starting slowly around here to offer the service. Give it time. I did ask about scanners to retract the rear brake calipers for a brake service and got nowhere, that I hope they will catch up on also
Are they able to adjust parameters if the parameters of the replacement battery are not the same as original?  That's my main question, if it's accurate that you cannot use a battery that's not exactly the same as original (not referring to brand of battery).

Will I be able to change the parameters of the battery in the ECU if/when I run into a car that requires the registration?

Where are you located if I could ask?  

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #65064 by ontheriver
I'm in upstate n.y., a stone's throw from Saratoga springs. You bring up a good question, I Will ask them what tool is being used, hopefully a quality one

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #65080 by aholco
Hey there, I work on Porsche and other German cars daily. I use scan tools whenever swapping a battery on the newer cars that take the battery programming. My Autel prompts me for the type of battery, Ah rating, part number and serial number. On cars that have a lot of electrical consumers we will sometimes upgrade the battery, so the Ah rating is changed. I have not tried swapping battery types yet but there are options, for example flooded, AGM, or lithium. The scan tool will accept any combination of characters for the part number and serial number of the battery. I believe the most important is it gets the right type and Ah rating selected when replacing the battery.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, rockp2

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #65084 by rockp2
Thanks very much for the answer aholco. You answered my question exactlty. I was just finding it hard to grasp that to register the battery you could only use original battery parameters.

More
1 month 6 days ago #65280 by AustinPearson
Thank you so much for the link.

Time to create page: 0.251 seconds