Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Weird CAN issue I've now seen a few times (different makes and models) - ideas?

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #65002 by trjp
In the last few months I've had a couple of different cars which had communications issues which would come and go and I really don't understand what was going-on.

When the problem was NOT present, the signals were a normal 1-2.5-4v pattern but when 'disrupted' the values of the signal were WEIRD - as follows.

On a Ford - I had what looked like a 'normal' CAN signal (reflected clean pattern) but high was 0v to1.5v and the low was 0v to -1.5v (and yes, my scope was grounded correctly) - almost as it something had lost it's ground/reference?

On a Skoda (VW) - I had high from 0-3.5-6v (varied slowly over time) with low being 0-1.5v or less - pattern still OK, just obviously not the right values...

Both of these faults would come-and-go even when no-one was anywhere near the car (not moving wires around or interacting with the car) - the Ford was resolved with an ECU replacement but the Skoda is still awaiting a fix as I cannot isolate the module causing the issue (VWs are a pain to break-up the CAN on)

Note: The VW starts and runs with or without the fault - it just won't engage gears when the problem is present - being a VW it's possible to diagnose the ECU/DSG via KLine even when the CAN is down but the Ford was a nocomm with the problem active...

Anyone got any idea what would cause this - I've seen plenty of CAN networks which were shorted to ground or 5/12v as well as missing a terminator but this is something else entirely??

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.280 seconds