Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

1999 gmc suburban 5.7 vortec Engine shakes/ rough idle

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #64715 by algebraic429
Greetings all, 1999 gmc suburban with 5.7 vortec has 125k miles. Truck drives fine normally under load and cruising but a few months ago it started to idle rough / engine shakes. No codes on the scanner but scanner does show some misfires on cylinders 1-3-4. the misfire counts are low but i cant tell if thats whats causing the rough idle. Long term fuel trims at idle also show -8% and -13%. Rpms dont show any major fluctuation and the truck seems to hold the idle fine but you can just feel the engine shake. The shake / rough idle seems to get worse after the truck is warmed up but you can feel it at cold. 

parts ive replaced
Lower intake manifold gaskets 
upper intake gaskets 
upgraded to newer injection system 
new dizzy, cap and rotor
new plugs and wires 
new ignition coil
new fuel pump 
fuel filter
new upstream o2 sensors
new ICM 
new crankshaft position sensor
new EGR and IAC

Compression good on all cylinders 
cam retard is within spec shows .4 at 1000 rpm. 
Ive cleaned the maf and throttle body multiple times maf reads 7.4 g/s at idle 

I did noticed the crankshaft pulley wobbles at idle, i did a visual inspection of the harmonic balancer and the rubber looks cracked but it doesnt seem to be uneven or separating.  Im leaning toward harmonic balancer because the way id describe the rough idle it doesnt seem like the engine is having troubles holding idle it feels more physical like it could be unbalanced?  Harmonic balancer doesnt seem to make any noises like some people say they do when they go bad. 

im losing my mind over this any input is greatly apperciated 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #64724 by acautorepair
the mass air flow reading seems a little high if the idle is around 600 rpm like it should be. fuel trims are showing to be a little rich as well. i would look closely at the fuel pressure regulator for leakage.
are the misfires it shows at idle or under a load?

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #64726 by algebraic429
at idle, its small number of counts. appears to be random cylinders.

Time to create page: 0.204 seconds