Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2003 Buick leaabre 3.8 high idle, lots of parts changed and still no fix

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #64562 by XsleepercellX
It’s a car I bought cheap, looking to sell but I need to find out why this thing has a high idle… work that’s been don’t in the last year:
*new lower intake gaskets 
*new upper plenum and gasket
*new map sensor
*new maf sensor
* when I got it and I replaced the throttle body, which also came with all new sensors (maf, tps, and iac) I also put a thermostat in it because it had a p0128 code when I got it and I noticed it didn’t have a thermostat in it. I assumed this would ultimately take care of my issue and it didn’t.. still it intermittently has a really high idle.. sometimes it drops for a bit and idles normal but for the most part, it’s always high. I don’t thing it’s a vacuum leak, fuel trims are never high, usually they’re negative. The worst I’ve seen them is LTFT -30 and STFT -20… that being said it wasn’t running rough at all and both of my O2’s were pegged rich.. O2’s seam to be working fine, upstream switches as it should and when it was running rich they both read rich…  I have some videos of scan data I’m going to post as well as a video of my IAC  lab scope wave forms. It’s a 4 wire stepper, it’s been replaced and it’s computer controlled, I don’t think it’s the sensor. I’m not sure if it could be another input or not? It does have a MAF code P0101.. Again maf has been changed and circuits are good. It’s a three wire maf with an air straightener on the throttle body that is also new.. at this point I’m just whipped… I’ll post data and if you guys have suggestions I’m all ears. At this point it’s a loss for me.. the videos will include some scan data as well as some key cycling showing the IAC coil wave forms which look ok to me. Yellow and green trace are coil B and blue and red trace are coil A. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #64563 by XsleepercellX
Heres the video, I combined them all to make one, sorry for the poor quality, if this isn’t enough I can always redo my captures and try to clean them up, hopefully this works. 

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
2 months 2 weeks ago #64566 by Noah
I don't see the attached videos...
Shot in the dark, pull the vacuum line off of the fuel pressure regulator while it's running, make sure it's not bypassing gasoline into the vacuum line.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #64569 by XsleepercellX
I did this already however I forgot to mention it.. and I’m working on the videos, I’m not sure why I can’t post them.. I have to figure out how to compress them, I’ll keep trying… I will try to at least post captures..

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #64570 by XsleepercellX
This is a capture of my key cycle (on/off) of my 4 wires stepper circuits. To me they look good. What bothers me is i have capability of bidirectional control over the IAC but sometimes it responds and sometimes it doesn’t? To me that seems intermittent as if it’s coming and going… again the stepper is new and here’s a capture of the key cycle… 
Attachments:

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #64571 by XsleepercellX
Here are two screen shots of data pids. If you need me to bring up other pids just say so and I’ll add them.. one is cold engine (it sat over night) the other is of the vehicle idling at operating temp. I’m not manipulating the throttle in any way, this is how it’s idling at times… Most of the time.. today I started it and it ran fine, idled fine. But when it’s not idling fine rpm’s are 1400 to 3000… 
Attachments:

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
2 months 2 weeks ago #64578 by Noah
It would probably be easier to put the videos on YouTube or another video hosting platform and then link them in here.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

Time to create page: 0.216 seconds