Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Bad catalytic converter?

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #64517 by dubrull
Hi, I have a Kia Ceed 1,4 petrol 2009. It failed emmission test (CO at elevated rpm). The car has high oil consumption and if i let it idle for a couple minutes a black stain forms on the ground behind the exhaust.

I changed the valve cover gasket (there was oil on top of the spark plugs), the spark plugs and air filter (was dirty which i did not notice before the emission testing). 

I was looking for outher reasons for the failed test and tried checking the catalytic converter using oxygen sensors. Not sure I did it right and if I understand the output correctly. Am I right that the second oxygen sensor has too much movement? Does that mean a bad cat? Also if I change it wouldnt it just get destroyed quickly again by the oil in exhaust?

thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #64518 by bills4065
Replied by bills4065 on topic Bad catalytic converter?
If the car is fully warmed up, that looks like way more high to low switching at cat o2 sensor in my humble opinion.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #64519 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Bad catalytic converter?
IIRC, CO is a rich indicator, no? What are your fuel trims at idle and 2,500 RPM?

There's definitely some abnormal activity in the downstream O2 signal. But, that's not a smoking gun for the cat by itself. The cat temp PID suggests the cat is warmed up, but that's an inferred PID and not an actual reading. The dip in downstream O2 signal at 14:33 makes me wonder about an exhaust leak... What happens to the downstream O2 signal if you jam a rag into the tailpipe?

More
2 months 3 weeks ago - 2 months 3 weeks ago #64527 by dubrull
Replied by dubrull on topic Bad catalytic converter?
thank you for your help. I did have a check engine light with a rich code about half a year back but it didnt come back after resetting it

here is the reaction of the o2 sensors to plugging the exhaust - i had the rag in for just a moment just after 12:01:05 and then twice for about 5seconds just after 12:01:25 and 12:02:05

here is the trim chart

Last edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by dubrull.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #64565 by dubrull
Replied by dubrull on topic Bad catalytic converter?
what else can I try?

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #64574 by bills4065
Replied by bills4065 on topic Bad catalytic converter?
I see you did replace the spark plugs. I would pull them out again and see if any of them have any wet oily deposits on them.

Time to create page: 0.211 seconds