Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

1987 Chevrolet K30 dump truck 350 v8 sm465 transmission no crank no start

More
2 months 3 weeks ago - 2 months 3 weeks ago #64503 by Mkotarba3
1987 Chevrolet V30 dump truck 350 v8 carburetor sm465 trans no crank no start rusty crusty truck. This originally had a 454 big block engine which made real bad noises when running at idle. I am helping my neighbor with his project vehicle. Prior to us swapping out the big block engine I had to jump the starter with a remote starter switch at the starter terminals to make it crank while holding the ignition switch on and depressing the clutch pedal. I swapped in a 1985 chevrolet k20 used 350 v8 with carburetor out of a donor truck that had a th400 automatic.  I removed the crank shaft bushing and put in a pilot bearing for the sm465 transmission that is still in the dump truck. I put in a LUK clutch and flywheel during the engine swap.  After the engine swap I still have to use the remote starter switch at the starter to make it crank. I am not getting spark at the end of the plug wires with a acdelco HEI spark tester.

I am having difficulty figuring out why the new engine will not crank at all with the key.  I do have head lights and interior lights and stop lamps. I replaced the column mounted ignition switch to no avail. I disconnected the clutch switch and used a fused jumper at the connector that made no difference in it cranking at all.
 Is there any problem areas I should inspect on a square body truck? 
Last edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by Mkotarba3. Reason: typo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #64510 by Lupe
did you check fuses and relay to starter and if you are getting 12 v at starter in both cable and wire from igntion to soleniod WHEN CRANKING GOOD LUCK

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #64512 by Mkotarba3
Luke, i readjusted the column mounted ignition switch and dimmer switch.I put a 3/32 drill bit in the hole in the dimmer.I now have a crank no start.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #64513 by Mkotarba3
I tested the ignition coil per the service manual which tested bad. Then i tested the hei module at b plus terminal at 12.6 volts. The tach terminal was 8.5 volts koeo which is bad. Replaced hei module. Truck runs fine now.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #64514 by Lupe
wow good job thanks for the up date

Time to create page: 0.306 seconds