Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Mercedes Vito W639 113CDI - U0106 Code related to alternator ripple?

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #64483 by qgauto
Hi guys, in Australia struggling with this one i think i am on the money but want to prove it!
U0106 lost communication with glow plug control unit, we have tested all feeds to the glow plug control unit and they are fine. Tested CAN OK.
Found that on the LIN the control module and the alternator are linked
 I have a picture of the diagram showing the link, and my alternator ripple test....first time poster just working out how to upload hopefuly it has attached 

I have confidence in the wiring, now i am torn between the glow module and the alternator, 0 symptons on the car just a CEL
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago - 2 months 3 weeks ago #64485 by Paul P.
Your AC Ripple capture looks perfect in my Opinion. <100mV.  All the tails and humps look very even and no repetitive anomalies are present.

Remember there are three positive and three negative diodes, so follow your ripple "humps" in 3's.  Your good!

What you have circled in red (those big spikes) is the internal regulator in the Alternator Switching as the PCM controls it's output via the Lin Bus.

You can test this by adding various loads and you'll notice those spikes will coincide with loads being turned  on or off.

Never stop Learning.
Last edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by Paul P..
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, juergen.scholl

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #64487 by juergen.scholl
Just as Paul stated: there is no obvious problem to be seen in your capture.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #64489 by qgauto
Thankyou, that helps me not do an alternator
Here in australia we don't have access to the workshop manuals from the manufacturer, we can rent them for a time period...which i tried to do however merc wont release it until I am EV accredditted even though this is not an electric vehicle!!
Any suggestions as to what I could chase next in relation to this code, I am confident in my wiring I just can't determine do i have fault in my ECU or Glow plug control module ?

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #64490 by juergen.scholl
Which module flags the U0106 coded, Is It the EDU? If so, this module is not causing the DTC and probably NOT at fault.

Is this a hard code or an intermittent one? If the latter: can you reproduce it?

I would look at powers, grounds and the com lines of the glow plug controller while making/waiting for the failure to occur. May be even the current consumption when activating the glow plugs.

Are there any related driveability concerns?

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul P.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #64540 by qgauto
Thanks mate, the fault is logged in the ECM
The fault is permanent
The glow plug module is outputting to the glow plugs and all glow plugs have been powered individually and there amperage is the same
I have had multiple people tell me that ripple is bad so am very confused.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
2 months 2 weeks ago #64544 by Noah
If the fault is permanent, (and sets with the engine off), then it isn't going to be alternator related.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

Time to create page: 0.202 seconds