Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

P0401 and +19.53% ltft

More
2 months 3 weeks ago - 2 months 3 weeks ago #64448 by 97tacoma
Hello,
Big fan of scanner danner vids. 

I have a 97 toyota tacoma 2.7l, 5 speed, 4x4.
It has a p0401 and ltft always at +19.53.
The stft does funny things. At idle stft goes to +19.53. Tapping the throttle will immediately bring it to zero. When driving, at 1500rpm stft is ar around +10%, at 2500rpm its bounces +- 5% at zero.

I tested the exhaust for leaks and found one at the manifold around the first o2 sensor and have since had thr manifold welded there. 

Is this scenario a guaranteed vacuum/exhaust leak and I should keep searching for more leaks or something else. 

Also, how does the p0401 relate to this.

The truck drives fine and idles fine.

Thanks for the help.
Attachments:
Last edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by 97tacoma.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago - 2 months 3 weeks ago #64460 by bills4065
Replied by bills4065 on topic P0401 and +19.53% ltft
so if I am understanding you correctly, at 1500 rpm you have a combined fuel trim of 29.53%. At 2500 rpm you say your combined fuel trim numbers are getting better, ie   going lower . Try checking  stft and ltft at 1500, 2500, and 3500 rpm. see what your values are at these rpms.The way I am reading what you have said, your combined lt and st trims are getting better when you increase rpm, is this correct?
Last edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by bills4065. Reason: clarifying what I said.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago - 2 months 3 weeks ago #64461 by 97tacoma
Replied by 97tacoma on topic P0401 and +19.53% ltft
That's correct. Ltft is at +19.53% from when I start the car to when i turn it off and never moves. Stft will move as described in first post.
Last edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by 97tacoma.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #64464 by bills4065
If this is a maf engine , I would be looking at my mass airflow sensor. When was the last time the fuel filter was replaced?

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #64466 by 97tacoma
Replied by 97tacoma on topic P0401 and +19.53% ltft
Fuel filter hasn't been changed in about 5yrs. The maf was changed about a month ago when this first happened and didn't have any effect. I had a spate maf and that was thr first thing i did.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #64467 by bills4065
personally, my next step would be change the fuel filter and then check the long term and short term fuel trims at 1500, 2500, and 3500 rpm. I would address the lean running condition before worrying about the P0 401. The P0401 is probably a different issue.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago - 2 months 3 weeks ago #64470 by rockp2
Replied by rockp2 on topic P0401 and +19.53% ltft
I'm thinking a vacuum leak can cause: 1) a lean condition; 2) EGR not able to to function correctly which could cause a P0401; 3) STFT fuel to react correctly when throttle is opened.

I might focus on insuring I had no vacuum leaks as a first step.
Last edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by rockp2.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
2 months 3 weeks ago #64478 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic P0401 and +19.53% ltft
An open EGR valve is a vacuum leak and will cause positive trim correction. Possibly related...

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #64482 by bills4065
A stuck open egr valve on a maf engine will cause it to run lean. He did say the idle was fine though. @ Noah you are absolutely correct.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #64484 by rockp2
Replied by rockp2 on topic P0401 and +19.53% ltft
"An open EGR valve is a vacuum leak and will cause positive trim correction. Possibly related..."

Noah, my first thought was also a possible stuck open EGR valve. But then I thought that the P0401 "Insufficent Flow" would indicate that the code is a result of a vacuum leak not opening the EGR valve, so the code would be more of a result of vacuum leak not the cause of the leak. Would my thought be incorrect? Would "Insufficent Flow" be misleading in that it can mean both restricted flow and/or too much flow? Thanks.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
2 months 3 weeks ago #64493 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic P0401 and +19.53% ltft
After reading the code setting criteria, I agree. Insufficient flow is detected when the EGR temp sensor does not increase above ambient temperature, so most likely not that the valve hung open.
A problem with the vacuum switching valve or vacuum hoses could explain both codes as you pointed out.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
The following user(s) said Thank You: rockp2

Time to create page: 0.220 seconds