Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Fuel in Engine oil/Injector Waveform Question

More
3 months 1 day ago #64394 by mfarmer
Hey all.  I want to know if I am crazy or looking at this issue wrong.  2017 Tahoe with a 5.3L L83 with constant engine oil sample returns of fuel in the engine oil.  Replaced the high pressure fuel pump knowing the issues with it leaking, with a genuine GM pump.  Still saw high fuel dilution.  Performed the notorious general motors fuel injector balance test via my scan tool and replaced injectors due to the faulty results that test gives you, with genuine GM injectors.  Still having a fuel dilution issue.  Hooked up my pico scope and drove the vehicle in AFM mode to see if injectors were firing when they shouldn't and low and behold I saw some intermittent injector activity on injectors 1,4,6 and 7 when in AFM mode.  Compared readings to another 5.3L L83 and saw a no electrical activity in the known good truck.  Has anyone ever seen this issue before?  My local GM dealer is not very helpful.  Another thing I noticed is the injector patterns between the two are different.  The pattern I am getting on the vehicle in question looks more similar to a ported fuel injector rather than a DI injector.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 1 day ago #64395 by mfarmer
Sorry the second attachment didn't post.  The attached pattern is the one that looks off to me.  The first pattern is a known good I took.
Attachments:

More
3 months 21 hours ago - 3 months 21 hours ago #64404 by juergen.scholl
Your sample rate is too low for a detailed capture. I see you are working with the T&M software. What is the actual scope you're using?

Please explain where exactly you're connected to. Remember these injectors are "paired" and each one of these pairs fires actually only every other event. So make sure yo're indeed looking at the firing event. You would recognize the firing event versus the non firing one by looking at the ground controlled leg of the injector circuit.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.
Last edit: 3 months 21 hours ago by juergen.scholl.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #64504 by mfarmer
The scope I am using is a 2204A with 20:1 attenuators in each channel.  In both pictures I am connected to the low and high control circuits to number 1 injector.  I do realize that the high control circuit are paired between injectors.  The first pattern I posted is a known good fuel injector on a 2019 Silverado 1500 with a 5.3L that is not having a fuel dilution problem.  That is specifically cylinder 1 at idle with channel a being low side control and channel b being high side control.  The second pattern I posted is the vehicle in question cylinder 1 low and high control circuits.  On that pattern, channel A is low side control, and channel b is high side control.  That too is cylinder 1 at idle.  The sample rate is quite long and I understand that I am not going to get a detailed pattern, with at the time I was just looking for electrical activity to see if the injectors that are tied to the AFM are active when they shouldn't be.  I didn't expect to see the pattern difference I was seeing until I started looking a little further into the pattern.     

Time to create page: 0.194 seconds