Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2017 Ram 5500 steering wheel wnats to center while turning

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #64272 by RonSgar
I have a 2017 Ram 5500 rear wheel drive 6.7 cummins with a steering issue. Checked all components and everything as far as ball joints, track bar, tie rod ends and drag link are good. Found one of the steering gear box bolts not to torque specs 200 ft lbs. Retorqued and test drove, and still has the issue when turning. Steering wheel kind of fights you back to center. Truck does have a steering sensor that is built into the clockspring and not sure how to diagnose it if in fact that is the problem. Anyone experience this
issue and have a solution?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
3 months 2 weeks ago #64279 by Noah
Any work done recently on the front end?
I would check the alignment and tires first.
If the truck has a mechanical hydraulic steering box and pump, then the steering angle sensor isn't what is making the steering feel odd.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #64280 by RonSgar
Had the front end aligned because of this issue. He checked other forums and some have replaced steering gear, no fix. We’ve done a fluid change in the last year and replaced the fluid with manufacturers recommended fluid.

More
3 months 2 weeks ago - 3 months 2 weeks ago #64282 by Hardtopdr2
are you running a box on the back of the truck and what is the actual curb weight of the vehicle? and what is the gvrw rating on the door jam sticker?

you might be experiencing an overloaded weight condition causing "self-steering or over steer" especial when vehicle leans left or right on a turn....
look at the rear leaf springs do they look like a letter "w" or a "(" rotated counter clock wise?"

this is what your contending with and it is very dangerous. reccomend reducing weight and replacing the leaf springs and upgrading them to a higher capacity spring from (sdtrucksprings.com)

if its a case of hard to turn through the mid point "center or steering angle 0" to make a turn power steering pump may be going bad or the steering gear box may have had the adjustment screw over done if that adjustment was done.
Last edit: 3 months 2 weeks ago by Hardtopdr2.

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #64286 by RonSgar
No box. It’s a tow truck flatbed type wit an aluminum bed. BIT inspection every 1/4 and have not found any problems with leaf spring or anything wrong with the rear suspension. I’ve heard of this happening on several of these truck with no apparent solution. Checked TSB’s and nothing new. I know they have upgraded the drag link because of several problems but that is not the problem. Thanks for your input, I am still looking for the answer. I will put some ears up to the power steering pump and see if I can hear and unusual noises.

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #64303 by RonSgar
Changed the power steering pump today and problem is solved. Parts dude was telling there is a check valve in the pump that may have failed. He had heard of this happening before. We flushed the system and fill the system with manufactures recommended fluid.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
3 months 2 weeks ago #64305 by Noah
Thank you for updating us with the fix! I am quite surprised, I have never seen this symptom from a failed pump. I will certainly keep this one under my hat for later

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

Time to create page: 0.210 seconds