Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

cadillac cts 3.6 D.I. ckp sensor sig shorted to ground ?

More
3 months 3 weeks ago - 3 months 3 weeks ago #64213 by Patrickreaves
  1.  cadillac 3.6 cts D.I  is a NO start ,with a p0335 =[Crankshaft position "A" circuit malfunction] scan data shows pid  ckp counts at 0 during cranking. With the sensor unplugged there  is .02/.02 /5 volts on the pin terminals. wire diagram shows pin 1 =low Ref ,pin 2=ckp sig, pin 3=5 volt ref 3.   with test light connected to B+, I tapped on the sig wire, thinking its a pull up hall effect ,to bypass the sensor and generate a signal, with no change to ckp counts on scan tool. but the testlight illuminated, suggesting a ground on the sig wire. 
  2. i am fairly sure that it is a pull down sensor, and there should be 5 volts on the signal wire = .0/5./5.volts on the pins. all 4 cam sensors have this layout and i can generate a sig by pulling the 5 volt sig to ground with a test light/bypass.
  3. due to the .02 volts on the CKP sig wire, i cant pull it to ground as its already at ground voltage . and i cant pull it up with 5 volts either as the voltage stays at .02 volts. so i believe the sig wire is shorted to ground . i located all sensors on the 5 volt ref 3 circuits and unplugged them allthough its a signal wire and i dont think sig wires are ever shared . not 100% sure. i even unplugged all sensors on 5 volt system to be sure.  
  4. question= is the sig wire shorted, is the ecm just not sending the 5 volts as iv tested at the ecm after isolating the sig wire,?? still .02 volts. what am i missing ? if any one has any direction or input i appreciate it. thanks 
  5. these electrical diagrams are the best i could find  , the year, make ,and model are correct , but some of the wire colors are wrong. about 10% are wrong color.
Last edit: 3 months 3 weeks ago by Patrickreaves.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
3 months 3 weeks ago #64215 by Noah
You could try cutting the CKP signal wire a few inches away from the computer. (Where it will be easy to repair.).
If the 5v is present after cutting the wire, it is definitely shorted in the harness somewhere. If it does not, then in it is time to suspect the PCM and check the powers and grounds to it.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
3 months 3 weeks ago - 3 months 3 weeks ago #64240 by Patrickreaves
Called the bad computer finally. CKP sig shorted to ground internally of the ecm.
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 months 3 weeks ago by Patrickreaves.

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #64245 by Monde
Thank you for the update. I am pretty sure it was not hard for you to make the call. It was obvious that the signal was shorted to ground. All that was needed to do was just unplug both the sensor and the control module connectors and ohm either end of the signal to ground or use a test light connected to ground. If there were continuity to ground or the test light illuminated, the signal wire would be shorted to ground.

Assuming is never a good thing.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
3 months 3 weeks ago #64248 by Noah
Thank you for the update, nice job.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

Time to create page: 0.196 seconds