Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

P0172 2000 Toyota Sienna

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #64188 by riqs67
Newbie with the questions. 244 000km on this Toyota
i have owned this Sienna for 11 trouble free years then came the P0172 :Initially no codes set but lost power up a hill like the transmission was done :After a restart drove ok then eventually became undriveable : Parts cannon started with a new MAF but no change : went to a mechanic and they told me it was an 02 sensor (not AF sensor so that may still be an issue )Bank one / that did not fix it as the code came back
they said it was an injector on bank 1 : I ordered 6 refurbished Denso’s and they changed the plugs , wires , fuel filter and PCV. This did not fix it and they gave up / I bought a scan tool to try and sort this out myself now 
I pulled one of the plugs on bank 2 and it was dark like it was running rich : the exhaust smells rich have a known good MaF / cleaned the IAC and the throttle body / vacuum is around 18 on the gauge 
i am about to test for the fuel pressure as it did not look like the mechanic did : the fuel pressure regulator is with the fuel pump in the tank and I believe this is a returnless system with the excess fuel staying in the tank ?
if the fuel gauge shows normal pressure, where else should I look?
Thanks , Rick (Vancouver BC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #64201 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic P0172 2000 Toyota Sienna
Holy negative fuel trims in that Freeze Frame.   Given how both banks are equally negative, I think it's safe to say there's something impacting both banks.

Fuel pressure is a suspect, but kinda difficult to check on this engine due to the lack of a test port. The fuel pressure would also have to be extremely high to account for trims this negative. I'd suggest checking some easier suspects first.

I know you replaced the MAF, but I'd still suggest checking its readings anyway. At hot idle with no loads on, we generally expect the MAF rate in g/s to equal engine displacement. In this case, 3.0 g/s.

I'd also suggest watching the O2 signal and trims while the engine is warming up from a cold start. I see you've got a capture from an Autel, but again, I'd suggest doing your own oxygen sensor testing. With the engine at a hot idle, create a large vacuum leak and make sure all three O2 respond quickly. Add brake cleaner to the same vacuum leak and look again.

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #64203 by riqs67
Replied by riqs67 on topic P0172 2000 Toyota Sienna
Thanks Tyler, I will try your suggestions hear you on the MAF and I ended up swapping it multiple times with a used OEM as well but still the same . Thanks for providing reference number for that as well ,

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #64208 by riqs67
Fuel tested at 50 psi which seems to be normal although I see it posted as 35-45 on some sites
MAF is between 5-8 on startup then settles down to between 3 and 4
O2/AF sensors don’t seem to react to rich conditions or lean when I tried they stayed maxed out in the .95 .97 range
I wonder now if all the injectors I replaced are bad : I did not see the data when it first happend to know if both banks were rich or just one when they said to change an injector on bank 1
I pulled and cleaned the bank 2 a/f and it looked ok better than the spark plugs that are black :
The only way I get negative on the voltage /o2 sensor is right after I blip the throttle and the engine gets more air
Bank 2 sensor 1 still moves slow but in the same direction as the other 2

More
3 months 1 week ago #64288 by Lupe
Replied by Lupe on topic P0172 2000 Toyota Sienna
your iat temp looks low , also might want to check evap purge not staying opean. good luck
The following user(s) said Thank You: riqs67

More
3 months 1 week ago #64297 by juergen.scholl
The initial code reffered to bank 2 while the fuel trims are negative for both banks.

Are you positive the injectors are the correct ones or may they have a different flow rate?

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: riqs67

More
3 months 1 week ago #64298 by riqs67
Thanks for the response
That’s a great question and I was told the injectors were correct but didn’t it test them to verify nor did the mechanic
I will have to go back to that as my last resort : I have the old fuel injectors and would rebuild those before putting them back in

The evap purge seems to be operating correctly: I have identified an out of range throttle position sensor and will change that when the part arrives to see if I get it resolved
My temps are in Celsius so that may be confusing

More
3 months 1 week ago #64332 by riqs67
No success yet
Throttle position sensor was replaced and the range is slightly better but not what i had expected
It’s max is now 52% better than in the 40’s but no where near the 72% that I believe it should be
I created a vacuum leak after the MAf and no change in short term trims they stayed -20 but the idle increased tried a Vacuum leak before the MAF and the same results stayed at -20 : the only way they go positive is after pressing the accelerator quickly :I am looking to get my old injectors rebuilt/ tested and last resort is changing them

More
3 months 1 week ago - 3 months 1 week ago #64341 by riqs67

Would this be a cause or a result of running rich?
Does the ECM keep the IAC at this position or is it the other way around : at idle 
Thanks  ,
Rick 
Last edit: 3 months 1 week ago by riqs67. Reason: Picture did not show

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #64444 by riqs67
Solved : fake Denso + wrong injectors from EBay :(I am passed the return window and the seller won’t warranty his lifetime warranty on these )I tested and rebuilt my original injectors thanks to YouTube and getting the original workshop manual : I don’t know if I solved the original problem along the way but fuel trims are back in low single digits
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, juergen.scholl

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
2 months 3 weeks ago #64491 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic P0172 2000 Toyota Sienna
Good news, thanks for posting a follow up with the fix

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #64492 by juergen.scholl

Good news, thanks for posting a follow up with the fix

​​+1

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

Time to create page: 0.240 seconds