Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

question more about trouble shooting steps and selling diag for multiple codes.

More
4 months 1 week ago #64067 by acautorepair
going to be a little long but question on both how to sell diagnostics and the best steps to approach diagnostics when you have several codes. car i am working on now is a 2012 audi a4 2.0l.  first pulled car in and scanned had codes p068a (pcm relay), p0088 (fuel rail pressure), p0328 (knock sensor),  p2188 (rich at idle), p0442 p0455 p0456 (evap leaks). scanner data showed 14xxx miles since codes cleared and 64 miles since mil came on like all the codes hit at once; possible computer/electrical problem.
 my thinking was possible purge valve causing evap leak and rich condition at first. i cleared the codes and drove car to see what comes back first to start addressing what the pcm sees as major problem. well after driving for a little bit i got codes p0506 (idle rpm low) and p2187 (lean at idle) and during one stop car idled rough like vacuum leak.
started researching all the codes and found pcv problem causing lean codes common. checked and found diaphragm burnt. rich at idle code common for high pressure pump leaks causing fuel in oil problems. customer already request and oil change so i do it and find oil fuel mix. selling a high pressure pump should be a good call.
but over all what would be good steps to take when diag a car with this many codes and how do you sell that much diag time to a customer in a small town that most shops do "free diag if you do the repairs. i know scanner danner says to educate the customers of the processes involved including research, equipment and such but with this many problems?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.248 seconds