Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

CRAZY fuel trims - 2006 Jeep 4.0 - 12,000%??

More
5 months 1 week ago - 5 months 1 week ago #63726 by bermudaclan.de.silva
Gday All! 2006 Jeep Wrangler...was wrecked and had many diagnostic codes when I got her 3 years ago. This is the last gremlin I just can't seem to get resolved. Triggers p0175 and p0172. Propane test has never shown me a vaccuum leak...that I can find at least :(

Today I put in new Mopar fuel injectors...and upon first start I got some less crazy readings and closed loop on both banks...then randomly back to the crazy non-moving 12,776.99% 2/1 long term and open loop 2/1.

Vehicle runs & drives, but you can tell at idle its not as smooth as it should be. And she drinks fuel way faster than this 4.0 should (I've had a few)

Any help greatly appreciated! On a tiny island middle of the Atlantic with limited options for support on this particular vehicle.
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 months 1 week ago by bermudaclan.de.silva. Reason: better description subjet

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 months 1 week ago #63743 by Tyler
That's kinda awesome! I'm gonna chalk those astronomical fuel trims up to a scan tool/Launch problem. In my experience, the only aftermarket scan tool that seems to be able to talk to this generation of Jeep correctly is Snap-On. Launch, Autel and TopDon really struggle, and you end up with readings like this.

First thing I'd say to check would be to check the fuel trim values in Global OBD instead, especially when you're seeing the 12,000 reading. In this context, I'd trust the OBD readings over the OEM data.

Second thing would be to check the readings on all oxygen sensors, and the O2 Goal 1/1 + 2/1 PIDs. I don't know where this Jeep came from originally, so I'm not sure if it has downstream/post-catalyst oxygen sensors or not. If it does, check them as well.

We're looking for any sensor that hangs outside of the normal 2.5-3.5V operating range. You'll need to use OEM data for this part, as Global OBD won't show the correct sensor voltages. 

More
5 months 1 week ago - 5 months 1 week ago #63752 by bermudaclan.de.silva
Thanks for responding Tyler. A few comments:

1) This is a US model Wrangler, x3 cats, x4 O2 sensors. I replaced the first 2 cats this year.
2) When I rebuilt vehicle I replaced all sensors with NTK, the defacto brand this generation computer plays well with.
3) The o2 sensors all adjust within spec voltage. When I first got vehicle x2 were malfunctioning...turned out to be bad ground on heater circuit. I fed them a good ground (O2 sensor heater circuit only) and that cleared codes P0032 and P0052. That was 3 years ago. Never found a damaged section in wire harness....but I did splice in a good ground. So I could see to be suspect of the harness....but I don't know enough about the scanner data I'm looking at to draw that conclusion.
4) I had a spare ECM- swapping makes no difference to this issue.
5) ***Regarding the scanner - it reads fuel trims that are reasonable for 1 bank...but not the other. Surely that does not suggest the scanner is mis-reading?
6) O2 Goal 1/1 + 2/1 PIDs - I'll scan this tomorrow in daylight and post the results.
7) O2 sensor voltages...again I'll run her and post a video with scanner data. I've checked that a few times and seems to be operating correctly....*to my limited knowledge*.

I should clarify this all with saying...I turn wrenches and stick metal things together....advanced scanning beyond pulling codes...I am stabbing in the dark a bit to be honest. Only I do know enough to realize fuel trims that far apart....are madness. OH! The fact that one...and only 1 of the 4 fuel trim values does not move at all....what does that indicate?

Thanks again....

Darren
Last edit: 5 months 1 week ago by bermudaclan.de.silva.

More
5 months 1 week ago #63753 by bermudaclan.de.silva
PS- On the 21 square mile island where I'm at....I don't know anyone with a Snapon scanner. And you would have to get on a plane to get to a dealer that can update one

This scanner has allowed me to read codes, troubleshoot o2 heater circuit voltages via live data graph, and clear more advanced codes like for the airbag system...

D

More
5 months 6 days ago - 5 months 6 days ago #63772 by bermudaclan.de.silva
O2 voltage readings attached…
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 months 6 days ago by bermudaclan.de.silva.

Time to create page: 0.202 seconds