Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

KIA tech & AUTEL user advice needed

More
5 months 1 week ago #63689 by JEFFSSEI
2014 Kia Sedona
3.5L V6

Question for a Kia tech with Autel scan tool (I have an MP808 variant).  After significant diagnostics I have concluded the PCM is bad and needs replaced as it is not controlling the VCMA nor will the scantool control it properly when used.  Powers, Ground, and Circuit integrity have all been check, as well as proper pin location in terminal blocks both at VCMA and PCM. The owner of the vehicle wants to use a Salvage yard PCM.  I did some digging in the scantool and see there is a write vin capability (or at least a menu selection).  I do a lot of diagnostics, but not a lot of programming/module replacement as it is a side job for me and I don't make the income required to purchase a lot of the high dollar programming equipment.  So my question is, will simply getting a matching PCM from a salvage yard and doing a VIN change (if the tool can actually do it - I know better than to just assume it can) all that needs to be done to get the customer back on the road, or should I advise him to take it somewhere else to have the procedure done (if it's outside the scope of my limited equipment).

-- Jeff W.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 months 1 week ago #63761 by JEFFSSEI
well salvage PCM is on order...hopefully can get this vehicle back up and running.

More
5 months 1 week ago - 5 months 6 days ago #63765 by Chad

I did some digging in the scantool and see there is a write vin capability (or at least a menu selection).

It is likely that this will, only, work with NEW module.

It may require the EEPROM being swapped/cloned, to use a used module.

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
Last edit: 5 months 6 days ago by Chad.

More
5 months 1 day ago - 5 months 1 day ago #63816 by JEFFSSEI
I haven't even tried the vin write.....put the replacement pcm in hooked the scan tool up, nada, nothing still won't control the VCM actuator/motor. I know it isn't the wiring/connections...lord knows I have checked them 10x by now....I'm at a loss as to why the VCM won't work when told to by the scan tool or work when the vehicle starts up (cold start). I don't have an O-scope to do further signal testing...guess thats on the list of things to get in 2024. I have also checked all the fuses in the underhood fuse box etc.  for testing purposes, I have the original VCM as well as a new parts store one that the customer doesn't want installed if it's not the VCM...which is fine, I don't have to install it to plug it in and test with it.

if anyone has ideas of something to check, I'm down...its a Texas vehicle so no rust/corrosion to speak of anywhere.
Last edit: 5 months 1 day ago by JEFFSSEI. Reason: more info

More
5 months 1 day ago - 5 months 1 day ago #63819 by Chad

still won't control the VCM actuator/motor. I know it isn't the wiring/connections...

Can you control it by applying battery voltage to the motor power wire?

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
Last edit: 5 months 1 day ago by Chad.

More
5 months 17 hours ago #63822 by Tyler
Chad's suggestion of manually powering the VCMA is excellent. I'd also be watching the VCM position sensor PID on the scan tool at the same time. There should be a reaction.

What fault codes are you fighting, specifically?

More
5 months 12 hours ago - 5 months 12 hours ago #63833 by JEFFSSEI
So with KOEO on and with the harness plugged into the VCMA I have (via backprobe pins):
PIN #1 - 12V (11.59)  (SIDE NOTE:  I have powered a (incandescent) test light from this circuit to battery ground & checked for proper pin location @ PCM)
PIN #2 - when jumpering/applying 12V+ from pin #1 to this pin I have ZERO movement on the actuator.
(for reference, the VCMA is NOT installed/connected to the intake I have it out facing up so I can see if the arm moves.)
PIN #3 - did not check this pin today (but I know pins #2 & #3 both have continuity from harness plug back to proper pins at the PCM.)
PIN #4 - GND  (SIDE NOTE:  I have powered a (incandescent) test light from this circuit to battery positive & checked for proper pin location @ PCM)

NOTE: 
NEW (parts store) VCMA does the same thing as the current one when plugged in (all though I did not jumper pin #1 to pin #2 on the new one - oversight on my part).
Vehicle recently had engine swap and a brand new lower intake (with the flaps/sensor) installed (not by me).  (vehicle runs fine (don't suspect an engine issue) just has these codes that customer wants fixed)

I also tried unpluging the VCM Sensor (goes to lower intake) to ensure there wasn't any issue with it bringing the circuit down (hail Mary move)

I even disassembled the VCMA (fairly easy to take apart - wasn't sealed with glue like the new one was) and verified with a 9v battery hooked directly to motor that motor is good (motor was isolated from VCMA circuitry)  also verified the arm pivoted freely with the motor removed (not seized).  internal circuit board looked good, did not see any indication of heat damage, or faulty circuit components.

initial codes were:
P2009 (active) - Intake manifold runner control circuit low
P200A (active) - Intake Manifold Runner performance
P2010 (Pending) - Intake manifold Runner control Circuit High
P2016 (Active) - Intake manifold runner motor position sensor circuit low

These codes are what started me checking tracing all the wiring 1st.

Last edit: 5 months 12 hours ago by JEFFSSEI. Reason: clarification

More
5 months 6 hours ago #63834 by Lupe
you never answerd Tyler s ? about the pid reading. did you check the connector , you mentioned it was changed ,could be different or intake problem. GOOD LUCK .

More
4 months 3 weeks ago #63903 by JEFFSSEI
I did actually:

(for reference, the VCMA is NOT installed/connected to the intake I have it out facing up so I can see if the arm moves.)

More
4 months 3 weeks ago #63904 by JEFFSSEI
with it uninstalled you won't get a reading on the position sensor PID.

More
4 months 3 weeks ago #63905 by JEFFSSEI
Sorry Guys, I got called for Jury Duty and haven't been able to get back at this yet...I'll update furtherwhen I can.

More
4 months 3 days ago - 4 months 3 days ago #64144 by JEFFSSEI
I manually verified the function of the position sensor by moving it by hand and watching the scan tool for corresponding movement - it worked normally.
Last edit: 4 months 3 days ago by JEFFSSEI.

More
4 months 3 days ago - 4 months 3 days ago #64145 by JEFFSSEI
I am Sorry guys, I don't have an outcome for this vehicle. just before Christmas (right after Jury duty), I started back working on it and found out my father had been airlifted to the hospital (northern state - I live in Texas) and I had to leave. I called the customer explained the situation and advised I might be gone several weeks at which time he advised he would come get the vehicle and might bring it back if it has an ill effects from it not working...should he bring it back I will update further....I hate when i don't get to see something through to the end. 

Side Note - Father is doing well and I just got home last night. Oh and Christmas in a Hospital SUCKS.

Last edit: 4 months 3 days ago by JEFFSSEI.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tyler

More
4 months 3 days ago #64147 by Tyler
Thanks for the update! We genuinely appreciate the follow up. Also glad to hear your father is out of the hospital!

I did a little digging in SI on the fault codes you posted. The only one that came up with anything was P200A. None of the other faults were listed in SI... Not sure if SI is lying or the scan tool/vehicle is.

Anyway, the P200A info was nice enough to show some known good examples of the VCMA control signals, open and closed:

I know that it's a little bit late now that the vehicle is gone. But if you happen to see this one again, I figure a DMM would work to measure voltage and duty cycle on on pin #2 and #3 at the VCMA. Scope would be nice, but not required.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JEFFSSEI

More
4 months 3 days ago #64149 by JEFFSSEI
Nice, and thank-you, if I get it back I will definitely do some more...wonder if I can get close with DMM on Frequency or duty cycle to read the signal....hmmm.

Time to create page: 0.236 seconds