Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Buick Century EGR operation question

More
6 months 1 week ago #63436 by mas116m
Good morning 

I am a high school auto shop  teacher. We currently have a 2003 Buick Century in our shop that belongs to another teacher. It came in for a check engine light and has a P0405 code which is EGR position sensor low voltage. The students and I have verified that the sensor is missing a 5V reference as we are showing 0V on scan data and 0V on the actual signal wire and 5V reference wire from the EGR. I explained to the students that this could be a short circuit, an open wire or less likely but possible a connection within the PCM. I explained that I did not think it was a short because no other sensors were showing codes and there are no driveability issues. We further proved this by jumping 5V from the reference wire for the TPS to the 5V reference on the EGR and the sensor functioned as it should with 5V applied to the reference wire of the EGR. (If this was not a good idea to do I am open to hearing that. I was a little skeptical about doing this test but it worked out) We do still need to go to the PCM and see if we have 5V there. We have not gotten that far yet. 

That all leads to my question which is more related to fundamentals. The wiring diagram shows that this is a solenoid and the operation description in alldata states that it is a PWM solenoid. Bi directional controls on the scan tool you allow us to control % from 0-100 percent all consistent with a PWM solenoid. What I am having trouble explaining to the students is why a PWM solenoid has a position sensor on it and why that position sensor reads a steady sweep from .7-4.5 volts as percentage is increased. Is the voltage from the position sensor actually pulsing as well and I am reading a steady voltage because of refresh rate on the meter? I want to be able to properly explain this to the students. Any explanation would be helpful. Thank you in advance. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
6 months 1 week ago #63441 by Noah
The position sensor signal voltage is linear because result of the PWM on the solenoid is linear operation of the solenoid.
The solenoid doesn't rapidly open and close, rather it achieves desired opening position by way of PWM.
Spring tension holds the valve in the closed position.
The greater the commanded pulse width, the greater "available" voltage, the more the solenoid will pull against the spring untill the desired position is reached.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chad

More
6 months 1 week ago #63443 by mas116m
Thank you for the explanation. That makes complete sense now. I wanted to be sure I was sharing correct information with them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
6 months 6 days ago - 6 months 6 days ago #63468 by mas116m
I thought I would post a follow up even though its not related to my original question because it was an interesting one. This was the cause of the fault. It appears a critter had gotten into the air box and chewed the reference wire for the EGR position sensor. Very strange that that was the only wire he seems to have gotten to by the time he got through the tape. 
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 months 6 days ago by mas116m.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
6 months 6 days ago #63469 by Noah
Thank you for the follow up.
I always wonder when I find one wire chaffed through or chewed up, "what are the odds it was THAT circuit?".
We use peppermint to discourage rodent activity on limousines that are put down for any period of time.
If nothing else, at least it smells better than squirrel piss alone

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

Time to create page: 0.199 seconds