Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2001 Camaro 3.8

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #62921 by gmartin58
2001 Camaro 3.8 was created by gmartin58
Hello All!
I've got a 2001 Camaro 3.8 that I purchased off of the original owner, with 37,000 miles. It set during the fall/winter seasons. When I initially bought it, the from calipers were sticking and many random things were not working. So I addressed all of those.
This past year, the car died and I replaced the Crank Sensor as it had voltage in, but no signal out. Later found it was cracked with water in it. At that time I did not have the tools for CASE Relearn, so it went to the dealer. The dealer then tells me they changed out the ICM, which was bad also. 
When I got it back, when the car would get good and warm, operating 195-210, it would develop a miss on cylinder 5 only. So I changed the original iridium plugs with new, new plug wires, but that did not solve the issue. Car gets warmed up, cylinder 5 misses. Used a scope, pulled cylinder 5 plug and it looked good inside. Checked that valve train and all looked good there also. Bought a mid level scan tool that would do CASE Relearn, in case the dealer did not do it and did that. Decided to check the coils and found slightly high resistance readings, so I then changed out the coils to AC Delco and got the resistance readings back where they should be. I also checked the fuel pressure and it was spot on. 
Now that we are in cooler weather, the miss then moved to #5, 2,4. Might you these misses are not constant only in the 1650-2000 rpm range, and once you are above that or below that it runs beautifully. That lasted while we were in the low 80-70 degree F range OAT.
Now with the cooler temps, highs mid 70's F, the misses are totally gone. 
Any Ideas of where to go? I feel like this is a ticking bomb, if I get a warm spell it will probably be back to a miss.
I've thought about taking a heat gun to the Crank Sensor and getting it warm to see it maybe that is a so-so part. It came from a local
parts store, wasn't AC Delco or big name part.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #62926 by gmartin58
Replied by gmartin58 on topic 2001 Camaro 3.8
Update, today my wife and I took the Camaro for a lot of stop and go shopping. OAT was 73 degrees F. Also was running the AC. After several stop and goes, it started the miss again right around 1900 RPM and on cylinder 5. This is definitely heat related. Just need to figure out what is causing it.

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #62936 by Cheryl
Replied by Cheryl on topic 2001 Camaro 3.8
Could be an injector becoming an open circuit when warm. Maybe when the miss starts use your uscope check the signal from the 5 injector compare to the others
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

Time to create page: 0.202 seconds