Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2001 Ford Taurus Rear Disc Brake Caliper Leak

More
7 months 4 weeks ago - 7 months 4 weeks ago #62872 by popoften
Old caliper had  seized so I replaced it with a remanufactured Ford part from Oreilly. I was unable to reconnect the parking brake so I drove the car a few days with it unconnected until I can take car to my buddy’s shop. The installed caliper is leaking brake fluid at the parking brake mounting point (see pic). Is this due to the parking brake cable not being connected, or is the caliper defective? Thanks, Pop 
Attachments:
Last edit: 7 months 4 weeks ago by popoften.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
7 months 4 weeks ago #62879 by Noah
If you're certain that the leak isn't coming from the line connection and tracking down to that point, then I would say it's a bad caliper.
The park brake cable can go in the trash and the caliper won't leak.
I would be tempted to see if I could get another 1/8th-1/4-1/2 a turn out of the banjo bolt. It can take some torque to crush the copper washers to the point where they make a good seal.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
The following user(s) said Thank You: juergen.scholl

More
7 months 4 weeks ago #62881 by juergen.scholl
I do agree with Noah. You may even try to sand the copper washers a lil bit, supposing they are not new 8-).

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

Time to create page: 0.205 seconds