Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2007 Nissan Xtrail ignition waveform

More
8 months 1 week ago #62784 by Isak1300
Hello,
I am trying to understand the ignition waveform on my 2007 Nissan Xtrail T30. The engine is running fine with no problems or misfires, I have just not seen this voltage waveform before and I am trying to interpret/understand what it means.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 months 1 week ago #62785 by Isak1300
Hello,
I am trying to understand the ignition waveform on my 2007 Nissan Xtrail T30. The engine is running fine with no problems or misfires, I have just not seen this voltage waveform before and I am trying to interpret/understand what it means. I am using a Hantek scope.

imgur.com/a/h8tsPmS

More
8 months 1 week ago #62786 by juergen.scholl
Please explain what exactly you're measuring and how/where you're connected to.

While you say voltage waveform the pictures remind a current trace with no CEMF in the beginning.(which NOT always translates to a bad coil). Then again there is some "ringing' at the beginning where the ramp actually starts.

The channel adjustment seems to be at 1V/div. Supposing 100mV =1A, this would correspond to more than 30A of peak current.Crazy high for a coil only.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

More
8 months 1 week ago #62789 by Isak1300
I am using a Hanktek scope with a 20:1 attenuator, and the black lead is connected to ground and the red lead is connected to one of the wires on the ignition coil (unsure which wire I am connected to).

I don't have wiring diagrams and I'm mostly self taught.

More
8 months 1 week ago #62790 by juergen.scholl
Ok, you're probably dealing with a three wire coil on plug and the captured signal may show the trigger signal from the ECU to the ignition module.

This module is integrated within the coil and the trigger signal is used to control current flow through the primary windings. Due to he design of this ignition system you can't get a primary voltage capture.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tyler

Time to create page: 0.215 seconds