Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2001 S10 Blazer Best way to test for clean Voltage from Alt

More
10 months 2 weeks ago - 10 months 2 weeks ago #62116 by gnnova
I have a 2001 S10 Blazer that I have been fighting a misfire for awhile. It is not bad enough to set a code but does disable the Torque converter lockup once and a while. I have replaced the entire ing system (distributor, cap & rotor, coil, wires, and plugs}. Cam retard is set at 0. Grounds have been checked. The last thing I replaced was the MAF and it actually helped the most but did not totally fix the problem. What is odd now that I am starting to use the A/C that the idle is rock steady with the AC on, with out the A/C on it has a random misfire at idle. Driving it with the A/C on, the misfire almost goes totally away. So I'm thinking that I have something going on with the Alt. like maybe some AC current hanging on the DC output of the alt. What/where is the best place to test for this and is some AC ok?
Last edit: 10 months 2 weeks ago by gnnova.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 months 1 week ago #62124 by juergen.scholl
Without the A/C working: Is the miss present at idle only or in other rpm/load ranges as well?

Best testing point for ac-ripple is from b+ alternator output to alternator case ground.

Some ac-ripple is acceptable, the amount depends on alternator load/rpm...an often quoted number is maximum 300 mV at idle.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

More
10 months 1 week ago #62125 by gnnova
It is present at other RPM/Loads but much less when the A/C is on.

More
10 months 1 week ago #62126 by gnnova
Thanks for the info on testing for AC on the DC from the Alt.

Time to create page: 0.244 seconds