Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Scion XB 2006 P0420 with rich fuel trim

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #10041 by Salvatierra
Hey everyone, am new to this forum. My question is about a 2006 Scion XB manual with 230k miles. I get the DTC of P0420. I have a scanner with live data and the o2 sensors seem to work fine. What I do notice is that the Long FT runs low. When at 2500rpm it reads somewhere from -18% to -19.5%. Yikes. The temperature of the cat look the same pre and post. If I could get help with a direction to diagnose this.

The car runs fine, no problems that I feel. No hesitation, no high rpm at idle. Nothing that really sticks out as abnormal. Also, this light has been on for maybe a year. There was another DTC with the P0420 a year ago, P0012, which read Camshaft Position "A" - Timing Over-Retarded. I Checked the OCV oil control valve and it snapped in half. My brother replaced it 5 years ago with an autozone part. Changed it with an OEM, erased the codes and the P0012 has not come on.
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by Salvatierra.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 11 months ago #10045 by Tyler
Hey Salvatierra, welcome! I see that the long term trims are definitely running rich. What are the short terms doing at 2500? Interested to know if they're bouncing around 0%, or if they adding to/subtracting from the long term correction.

Any other performance issues noted? Misfire, hesitation, low power?

My first thought is to look at the MAF, potentially overreporting. What's the g/s reading from the MAF at hot idle, with no accessories on?

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #10049 by Chad
I'm not familiar with a Scion but, with fuel trims that negative, active O2 sensors, and no noticeable drive-ability issues, is it a possibility that a vacuum activated fuel pressure regulator is leaking fuel into the intake vacuum?

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by Chad.

More
6 years 11 months ago #10065 by Salvatierra
The freeze frame data had the MAF at 16.46g/s with rpms at 2927 and Long FT at -18. This morning I checked live data and the MAF at idle is at 1.5g/s and at 2600rpms it is at 6.5g/s.

The car runs fine. Maybe it feels low powered but I thought it was because it is a 1.5 engine

Time to create page: 0.184 seconds