Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

HELP! 1970 Cuda - 383, No spark

More
1 year 3 days ago - 11 months 3 weeks ago #61421 by W100ewd
My 1970 Cuda with a 383 engine has a new distributor, new ECU (3 seconds flat), and a new wiring harness from American auto wire. The engine will crank but no spark will appear.

-I have power to the coil in run and cranking
-The ECU and sending a signal to the distributor in run and cranking
-Overall the distributor inside looks good and should be sending a spark
-I've put a locking washer. behind the ECU to guarantee a solid ground, by also getting down to bare metal
-The wiring kit is routed correctly (crank and run from the firewall to coil positive), the black wire from ECU to coil negative
-I wired a 12v power feed to the ECU when the key is in the run position, so it's feeding power accordingly, plus there is a 'ready' light on the ECU that is working

I've completely bypassed the ballast resistor since this kit is running relays and I'm now using an electronic distributor.

In the past with the old wiring harness, the coil was only throwing a spark when I turned the key from cranking to run. At the moment the key turned to run, after cranking over and over, only then would a spark be sent from the coil to the distributor.

I've been thru 3 ECUs, finally investing in the 3 seconds flat ECU
I've had 4 different coils
Lastly, I rewired this entire car with the American Auto Wire kit, simply so I would have new wiring to rule out everything else.

I'm dying for some help and cannot figure this out.
Last edit: 11 months 3 weeks ago by W100ewd.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 2 days ago #61447 by Fastrider750
what mfgr makes the system ur using?

More
1 year 2 days ago #61449 by W100ewd
Replied by W100ewd on topic 1970 Cuda - 383, No spark
The new wiring harness is made by American Autowire

The ECU and coil are made by 4 SecondsFlat.

More
11 months 3 weeks ago #61532 by W100ewd
Bumping this up - I really want to get this car running again. Any help is appreciated!

Time to create page: 0.227 seconds