Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2009 Chrysler 300 touring 3.5

More
1 year 1 week ago #61291 by Cheryl
Having a traction control light that comes on cuts the power to the throttle no codes. Speed sensors steering angle sensor looks good. Thinking I might have an alternator issue. Does this look like a bad diode in the picture I attached
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 1 week ago #61292 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic 2009 Chrysler 300 touring 3.5
Don't think so. That looks more like secondary ignition interference, IMO.

More
1 year 1 week ago #61293 by Cheryl
From a coil? You think that can spike the alternator?

More
1 year 1 week ago #61294 by Cheryl
Only reason I went down the alternator was because if I unplug the alternator the issue goes away

More
1 year 1 week ago #61296 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic 2009 Chrysler 300 touring 3.5

From a coil? You think that can spike the alternator?

Nah, I just mean your scope leads probably picked up on some RFI from the coils.

Only reason I went down the alternator was because if I unplug the alternator the issue goes away

Well isn't that interesting. :huh: The alternator ripple honestly didn't look excessive... I wonder if it's the low system voltage that's preventing the issue from happening.

More
1 year 1 week ago #61298 by Cheryl
System voltage stays at 14.4 even with alternator plugged in. Had a spare tire on it thought maybe it was the issue replaced with correct size tire still does it.

More
1 year 6 days ago #61299 by juergen.scholl
On a longer time base is there a repetitive pattern when that spike occurs?

As Tyler I don't think the ripple is an issue at this point. (I believe he meant with the alternator unplugged/not charging the then low system voltage may impede the issue to happen.)

Btw, how did you set up your scope? It seems to be configured at DC voltage??

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

More
1 year 6 days ago #61301 by Cheryl
Yes it’s repetitive on a longer time base. I have the scope ac coupled on a 1 volt scale I’ve run it on a 500 ms time base that drop is repeatable.

More
1 year 6 days ago #61302 by Cheryl
Only thing I noticed is there is 2 readings for each wheel. One is in mph and other rpm. The mph are all the same all 4 wheels but the rpm is different from the left rear wheel. No codes in any module

More
1 year 6 days ago #61303 by juergen.scholl
You may want to scope the questionable wheel speed sensor directly and compare to another one.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

More
1 year 6 days ago #61305 by Cheryl
Will do and let you know I’ll post pictures

More
1 year 5 days ago #61306 by Matt T

Yes it’s repetitive on a longer time base. I have the scope ac coupled on a 1 volt scale I’ve run it on a 500 ms time base that drop is repeatable.

For it to be the alternator rectifier you're looking for the problem to happen at a repeatable number of waveform humps, with every sixth hump being the most common. If it's engine noise, or load, related it'll be a repeatable time which corresponds to engine rpm. For example noise from a COP coil will show every 200mS at 600rpm.

More
1 year 5 days ago #61330 by Cheryl
It’s repetitive. Zoomed out it has the drip same exact spot on a longer time base

Time to create page: 0.238 seconds