Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2010 Dodge Journey Charging Fault. Battery Dies Under Load.

More
1 year 2 weeks ago #61251 by Eli
Hello everyone,
The car came in with low voltage complaints. I made a quick diagnosis of it being the alternator based on the running voltage ( this was a bad move) I replaced the alternator just to find the car was not fixed!
I got both alternators (Old and new) bench tested and both are supposedly Good!
I tested the field control wire for a short to power, an open, or a short to ground. Tested Good.
I connected the lab scope to the field control wire while running and Got battery voltage (The description says I should have a PWM 12v Square wave)
I was not able to control the duty cycle of the alternator with either of my scan tools (returned conditions not met error)
I Commanded to duty cycle to 50% (max this test allows) with the key on and engine off.
Below are the waveforms I got at 0% and 50%.
Wondering what you guys think about this issue. It's like the square wave is overlayed with something else.

Thank you!
Elijah
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 2 weeks ago #61254 by Eli
I think I accidentally opened this thread twice....
Attachments:

More
1 year 2 weeks ago #61257 by Tyler
That's definitely a strange looking waveform. :huh:

To be clear, you're taking this capture at the brown/grey wire while backprobed at the alternator, correct?

If I were you, I'd switch it up and try a substitute load instead. An incandescent test light would work. A 921 or 1157 bulb would be better. One wire of the bulb to the brown/grey wire, the other to ground. Use the alternator field control bidirectional test just like before and see if the bulb lights. Or just start the engine and watch the field control %. If it lights, the field control circuit is fine.

Have you checked voltage drops across the alternator B+ and case while it's not charging? Does the battery test well?

More
1 year 2 weeks ago #61263 by Eli
The capture was taken with the alternator unplugged at the brown gray wire.
With a incandescent test light on that wire (alternator unplugged per factory test specs) I get a dim light with low duty cycle and a brighter light with the higher duty cycle.
I did not do a voltage drop while it was not charging.
I also put an amp clamp on the alternator + and was only seeing 60 amps.
With the engine running, the waveform on the brown/gray field control wire goes to a flatline near battery voltage.
Even though the test light lights, is it not a problem/fault to see that funky waveform?
The battery is not new….. I don’t have a great way to test it other then a carbon pile tester…. It tests weak, but not bad.
Would a weak battery cause the whole charging system to not work and eventually stall the vehicle?

More
1 year 2 weeks ago #61269 by Tyler

The capture was taken with the alternator unplugged at the brown gray wire.

Gotcha. Thank you for the clarification.

With a incandescent test light on that wire (alternator unplugged per factory test specs) I get a dim light with low duty cycle and a brighter light with the higher duty cycle.

Perfect. B) I'm happy with the field control circuit.

With the engine running, the waveform on the brown/gray field control wire goes to a flatline near battery voltage.
Even though the test light lights, is it not a problem/fault to see that funky waveform?

I can't say I've ever scoped the brown/grey wire while unplugged, so I don't know what that's supposed to look like. The odd pattern might be the result of being unplugged. The test light result is enough for me.

I did not do a voltage drop while it was not charging.

That'd be my next suggestion. It'll suck because of where the battery lives on these. :silly: But still worth doing.

I also put an amp clamp on the alternator + and was only seeing 60 amps.

Really? :huh: That's not terrible output. Not full field, but obviously the system is capable of output.

The battery is not new….. I don’t have a great way to test it other then a carbon pile tester…. It tests weak, but not bad.
Would a weak battery cause the whole charging system to not work and eventually stall the vehicle?

Would a weak battery cause the charging system to not work at all? Probably not. Cause it to struggle? Definitely.

The 60 amps output you saw might be a good indication of that. What was the battery voltage when you saw the 60A output?

More
1 year 2 weeks ago #61272 by Eli
I will do the voltage drop test.
The battery voltage was around 11v with all loads applied ac/blowers/defrost/lights
Runs 13-14v with no extra loads.

More
1 year 1 week ago #61278 by Cheryl
How is pin fitment at the connector on the alternator? Have you checked voltage out of the alternator right at the b+ stud?? What does voltage sense read on the scanner vs target voltage??

More
1 year 1 week ago #61279 by Cheryl
Go from alternator case to block ground and look for voltage drop. Block ground to battery negative post

More
1 year 1 week ago #61284 by juergen.scholl

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

Time to create page: 0.210 seconds