Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Alternator not charging

More
1 year 3 weeks ago #61061 by A7Guy
2012 Audi A7 3.0t had a alternator not charging battery warning . Replaced battery and alternator and still not charging. P1B0100 alternator electrical fault

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 3 weeks ago #61070 by juergen.scholl
Did you put a new alternator on? Many rebuilts are bad out of the box... Did you also put a new one way clutch pulley on and/or checked the old one?

If this is the typical bosch unit it will probably have 3 connections: B+, L and DFM. Have you verified wire integrity?

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

More
1 year 3 weeks ago #61071 by George Uk
Replied by George Uk on topic Alternator not charging

Many rebuilts are bad out of the box..

Absolutely agree !!

Just last week I had a Ford Fiesta (Petrol 2009) with a charging fault, SMART CHARGE using a PWM signal for communication with ECU.

With a scope I proved that the ECU & Wiring was fine but the Signal was being corrupted / pulled down by the Alternator. Also tapping the alternator with a hammer would bring it back to life for a while.

Bought a "NEW" unit £240.00 - Same - Not charging.

Got the original tested and rebuilt by a trusted friend - same - Not Charging - £100.00

Got one from Ebay £ 30.00 - Fixed and gone.

Very Nearly put an ECU on it :dry:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, Tyler

More
1 year 3 weeks ago #61074 by A7Guy
Replied by A7Guy on topic Alternator not charging
Yes I did put a brand new hitachi alternator on it. Where’s the one way pulley located?

More
1 year 3 weeks ago - 1 year 3 weeks ago #61075 by juergen.scholl
The one way clutch is integrated within the pulley that drives the alternator via the belt.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.
Last edit: 1 year 3 weeks ago by juergen.scholl.

More
1 year 3 weeks ago #61076 by A7Guy
Well it is a brand new alternator so the pulley is brand new also . Where else can I check?

More
1 year 3 weeks ago #61086 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Alternator not charging
Voltage drop the B+ cable and the alternator case. If I remember right, I think the main block ground cable comes off when you replace this alternator.

I *think* the single wire field connection is a LIN with the battery module. If you disconnect the field connector, does the alternator start charging? With the connector unplugged and the key on, what voltage do you find at the violet/white wire?

If the B+ and alternator case don't have excessive voltage drops, and the LIN is good all the way out to the alternator, and the belt isn't slipping, then the alternator has everything it needs to work. Get another alternator.

More
1 year 3 weeks ago #61090 by A7Guy
How do I know if the belt is slipping?

More
1 year 3 weeks ago #61091 by A7Guy
Violet and white wire? The lin ?

Time to create page: 0.213 seconds