Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

BMW x5 2007 N52 engine pre-cat sensor

More
1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #60933 by naros812000
Hello MatesI have attached a picture of BMW N52 engine pre-catalyst sensor which has a potentiometer inside the socket. Can anyone teach me what is this used for?Thank
Attachments:
Last edit: 1 year 1 month ago by naros812000.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #60960 by Tyler
Hey naros812000! I moved your thread to the Repair section.

If I had to guess, I'd say that's a trim resistor. It's used by the ECM and the sensor supplier to account for manufacturing tolerances in the sensor itself. The ECM has a circuit dedicated to reading the resistance value.

Other OEM's put the resistor in different locations, like this Honda sensor:

Last edit: 1 year 1 month ago by Tyler.

More
1 year 1 month ago #60963 by naros812000
Thank you very much Tyler.

My sensor picture is not like that. I have already re-attached the picture. It is exactly like a volume button that can be adjusted with a screw driver.

Thank you again

More
1 year 1 month ago #60965 by George Uk
As Tyler said it is set at the factory for calibration purposes and SEALED. Not designed to be messed with.

However, given the right information you may be able to check that it is still within spec, perhaps adjust it ??

I'm wondering why you removed the sensor in the first place - what were the reasons / symptoms in the vehicle ?

Time to create page: 0.192 seconds