Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Ford Fiesta crank no start

More
1 year 1 month ago #60890 by FamilyVonKrappe
Hello all. I've a 2003 Ford Fiesta 1.4 16V Zetec (Duratech engine). As per the subject line, it will crank but not start (although it tries occasionally). Previous to this, it was running well, until one day it started up and then stopped immediately. There are no DTCs, and the MIL is off. A spark tester flashes as expected, and noid lights flash as well. The camshaft is correctly aligned (I checked with the correct tools), and ForScan (I can't afford IDS :) ) shows RPM readings while cranking (although the instrument panel does not - I don't know if it needs to be running properly to show up). It will not start if Easy Start is sprayed into the inlet, and while I was spraying, I noticed that my throttle plate doesn't move much. It stays cracked open in its rest position, and snaps shut when I switch off, but it never really opens at all. It would help if I knew if the throttle plate on this drive-by-wire car should open when the engine is not running and you press the pedal. ForScan shows the pedal movement correctly at key pos II and the throttle position changes from CT (closed) to PT (part throttle), but the indicated angle never changes, and the plate never moves. Does anyone know if it should?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 5 days ago #61372 by radmilakrejci1
have you fixed this already? if not i would approach this as no start, good spark and injector pulse chapter 23
1/ remove O2 sensor (completely restricted exhaust)
2/ low/no compression/timing belt/chain problems
3/ flooded engine (stuck closed regulator, leaking injectors

More
1 year 5 days ago #61374 by FamilyVonKrappe
Hello. Yes, I fixed it. It took a while, because everything I tested seemed fine. Going through FASTEC for the second time, I had another look at the injectors. I'd already cleaned them once, since all they produced first time I looked at them was a thin stream of carb cleaner that was probably just hitting the back of the valves. When I looked at them a second time, they were even more blocked. I assumed that all I'd done the first time was to loosen the deposits, and allowed them to build up behind the nozzle (and yes, I had back-flushed them). So, I pulsed them for hours in an ultrasonic bath (which was how long it took for all the clouds of whatever builds up in them to stop coming out), and now they produce a nice mist. The thing runs better than it has done for a long time. I'd definitely treat injector cleaning as a routine maintenance item from now on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

Time to create page: 0.179 seconds