Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Low power, low barometer pressure reading Nissan Sentra 2008

More
1 year 1 month ago #60878 by Mariowinax1
Nissan Sentra 2008
I have sluggish acceleration; I am reading 13.78 psi instead of 14.25psi.
I used to read 14.25psi; but I dont know what happened that I am reading that now. But the same car in good working condition reads 14.25 psi.
Nissan use evap pressure sensor installed on the charcoal canister; and this give the reading to the barometer pressure reading.
How do I know this cause the sluggish acceleration? I disconnected the sensor and drive; the car was like snail and bad/ worse acceleration but when I connected back. I had the little power back.

What done so far.
-Removed charcoal canister and check for damage; no visible damage and air passage between the fuel tank hose port and the purge port has free airflow.Took the time to service it as well.
-Checked purge solenoid valve sensor; all good. Close tight without leaking air.
-Checked fuel cap; not damaged or in bad condition
-Replacement of the evap pressure sensor; but reading didnt change.

Please any idea, where I should go or check to solve this problem.

The attached picture shows the overview of the charcoal canister where the evap pressure is located. In the diagram is the number 10

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
1 year 1 month ago #60883 by Noah
No pix.
You could try a variable resistor while watching the scan tool to bring the baro into normal range and take it for a drive.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #60886 by George Uk

Nissan Sentra 2008
I used to read 14.25psi; but I dont know what happened that I am reading that now. But the same car in good working condition reads 14.25 psi.
Nissan use evap pressure sensor installed on the charcoal canister; and this give the reading to the barometer pressure reading.

You could measure the pressure in there with an independent Gauge !!

Can you remove all the pipe work from the canister to see if you get correct reading of atmospheric pressure.

Does the lower pressure, if correct and validated, not indicate a blockage downstream of the Baro ? Just asking !
Last edit: 1 year 1 month ago by George Uk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
1 year 1 month ago #60925 by Mariowinax1

No pix.
You could try a variable resistor while watching the scan tool to bring the baro into normal range and take it for a drive.

Please how do I do that, a video sample to show that?
Or direction

More
1 year 1 month ago #60926 by Mariowinax1

No pix.

Please how do I do that, a video sample to show that?
Or direction

This is the picture attached
Attachments:

More
1 year 1 month ago #60927 by Mariowinax1

Nissan Sentra 2008

You could measure the pressure in there with an independent Gauge !!

Can you remove all the pipe work from the canister to see if you get correct reading of atmospheric pressure.

Does the lower pressure, if correct and validated, not indicate a blockage downstream of the Baro ? Just asking !

Sample of independent gauge that I can use, picture or video of it?
When i dropped the canister I took time off to check all; there are three hoses that goes to it.
One is the big fuel tank hose, purge hose to engine intake, and vent hose to air, and they were all in good shape.
Check the attached picture.

Btw, when I unplug the evap sensor while connected to the harness and close the opening of the sensor to the canister with my thumb so that no air goes to it; monitoring scan tool.
I see pressure rise to 14.25psi but when I insert it back to the canister barometer pressure drops again.
Attachments:

More
1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #60944 by George Uk
[/quote] Sample of independent gauge that I can use, picture or video of it?
[/quote]

2 pictures attached for you ?
1. Sealey Vacuum / Pressure Gauge - Simple but really good.
2. Mityvac - As the Sealey but you can create Vacuum & Pressure to test components and reactions - Again - Really good essential tool to have.
Last edit: 1 year 1 month ago by George Uk.

More
1 year 1 month ago #60945 by George Uk

When i dropped the canister I took time off to check all; there are three hoses that goes to it.
One is the big fuel tank hose, purge hose to engine intake, and vent hose to air, and they were all in good shape.

Been a while since I had the pleasure of an EVAP fault,

Your vent hose to air in my mind cannot be straight to atmosphere, that would defeat the theory of a Sealed System !!

There must be some sort of controlled solenoid / valve between the canister and atmosphere - indeed that may be part of the canister or external !!

Does it work ?
Is it Blocked Shut ? Jammed open even slightly ?
Can it be activated ? Able to fully seal and open ?

Then we have the valve that purges fumes from the Canister to the Inlet. Same again

Does it work ?
Is it Blocked Shut ? Jammed open even slightly ?
Can it be activated ? Able to fully seal and open ?

You say you have checked the pipe work however there maybe more valves etc around or internal to the fuel tank. Including the Tank Shut off Valve and the pipework to the Filler cap area.

As a refresher, I went to "Google" and "Youtube" to refresh my knowledge on EVAP, its purpose and function.

In your shoes I would now be looking to find, evaluate & test every component in that system to establish how and why you have a lower pressure than you should.

A trapped, collapsed hose maybe ??

Could some one drop in here and advise if 0.47 psi error be enough to cause that sluggish acceleration

What is the reading when trying to accelerate under load on the road ??

Sorry for the Vague post but I'm trying to help yet learn myself

More
1 year 1 month ago #60950 by juergen.scholl
I would not sweat about the baro reading, the difference is less than 5%. I consider this tolerable/not significant.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

More
1 year 2 weeks ago #61213 by Mariowinax1
Ok, Noted
So should chase other areas for the low power and MPG right.
Thanks guys for helping to fix it.

Time to create page: 0.218 seconds