Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Can a metal fuel filter be cut open with a rotary tool without exploding?

More
1 year 1 month ago #60803 by timothy.spencer
Sorry if this is a dumb question.... But I replaced a fuel filter on an 04 Mustang. I'd like to cut it open to inspect for debris inside. Can that be done with a cutting wheel on a rotary tool, or would the fuel/fumes be a dangerous combination for the sparking of the cutting wheel? Granted, I know sparks and fuel would make a fire... but I feel sure other's have wanted to see inside of a replaced fuel filter before.... so how did they do it?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 1 month ago #60805 by CCordell
I'm no expert!! But I would use a hacksaw to cut it open slowly after letting it drain out & air out 4 awhile. No sparks & doing it outside. This is just an idea!! I'm not saying this is the right technique!
The following user(s) said Thank You: timothy.spencer

More
1 year 1 month ago #60806 by Matt T
Unlikely to explode but guaranteed to catch fire. Even if dried out the media would probably ignite.

A large tubing cutter would work but they're kinda spendy. Can opener might work if it'll catch on the crimp.

More
1 year 1 month ago #60807 by CCordell
Hello,

I hacksaw not that expensive. I would use it.
Attachments:

More
1 year 1 month ago #60809 by Tyler
An oil filter cutter might work, depending on the diameter of the fuel filter you're working with. I have this one at work:

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CP8DFW

Won't catch anything on fire, and far less likely to introduce debris/contaminants into the filter.

More
1 year 1 month ago #60826 by MarkBeck101
If you submerge the filter in distilled water you could split the rolled edge in four places from the front with some big tin snips, then cut off the top of the case using the tin snips having access by the front cuts without the fear of it catching fire. The tin snips should not produce a lot of chips and if you do this in a clean bucket any debris found would have to have come from the filter.

Time to create page: 0.204 seconds