Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Freeze frame values showing the similar values?? Eeh...

More
1 year 4 weeks ago #60682 by andreas.espeborn
I have been helping a friend with issues on his 2006 Volvo V70 with TF80 automatic transmission.
The symptoms were harsh gear change, and suddenly switching up to third gear as soon as he pushes the gas pedal. A warning sign on the dash, and message "Gear box needs service" appears.

TCM has fault code 0A31 - Control module communication signal missing from Engine Control Module (ECM).
When checking the Freeze Frame for this, we find that all values were similar, see attached screenshot.
In other words, the freeze frame data obviously get corrupt for some reason.

Have any of you seen this type if corrupt freeze frame data before? Could perferrably be on a Volvo TF80, but also interested if you have seen it in general on a PCM or TCM? If so, would very much appriciate input or ideas on probable causes for such freeze frame data corruption.

Technicians' motto: If it works, don't touch it

Engineers' motto: If it works, take it apart and find out why
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 4 weeks ago #60695 by juergen.scholl
I have not seen this before....

The TCM may normally get these FF data pids from the ecm. As the ECM does not speak to the TCM it may display default values.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

More
1 year 4 weeks ago #60698 by andreas.espeborn
Thanks for the reply. So I assume that "corrupt" FF data may actually be default values.
And really like that saying... ha ha :D

More
1 year 4 weeks ago #60701 by Tyler
I have not seen that before. :huh:

Corrupt? Maybe. Might be more of a side effect of the problem/vehicle. It's a transmission fault, but the ECM is in charge of the MIL and the Freeze Frames. Like Juergen mentioned, there may be limited information sharing between the two. But the ECM is still required by emissions laws to store some kind of FF data.

Probably just Volvo's attempt to stay within regulations. :silly:

Time to create page: 0.202 seconds