Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2007 Toyota Highlander 2.4L wiring diagram/ weird crank no start help(SOLVED!!)

More
1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 4 weeks ago #60500 by Camaroboricua2
Hello, does anyone have access to a 2007 Toyota Highlander Wiring diagram? I just replaced the engine in a Highlander with the 2.4l engine and I'm having an issue where it wont start unless my scan tool is connected and turned on. So I need the wiring diagram to see where the OBD port goes or what is missing power. All fuses check out good but when in key on engine off, the CEL and PRND lights are not on until I turn on the scanner. THEN it will let the vehicle turn on. Otherwise, it'll crank forever and not turn on. I have found some diagrams through an app, but they are hard to understand. Any ideas or help would be great! Thanks!
Last edit: 1 year 4 weeks ago by Camaroboricua2.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 1 month ago #60581 by Tyler
Are you still having issues with this one, Camaroboricua2?

First thought is that there's a missing/loose/resistive ground on the engine/transmission, preventing one module or another from working correctly. Probably the ECM, based on the MIL behavior.

Your scanner comes into play because it's very likely creating a connection between pin #4 (chassis ground) and pin #5 (signal ground) at the DLC. Pin #4 and #5 ground at different locations. Pin #4 goes to the right kick panel via the passenger junction box. #5 goes to the intake side of the cylinder block (according to Mitchell). The ECM grounds in the same location as pin #5. ;)

Toyota calls that particular ground 'EE'. I was able to get a decent shot of the location:

I'd suggest rechecking that ground first.

More
1 year 4 weeks ago #60724 by Camaroboricua2
Thank You for the help. It turned out to be a dead battery in my cheap scan tool. While testing the pins I noticed that the CEL and PRND lights were back on with the scanner unplugged. So I cranked it and it ran! All that troubleshooting due to an external source causing the issue. Lesson learned for next time! And I will only be using this scanner as a back up now since shorty after this ordeal my Phoenix Plus arrived. Much better!

Time to create page: 0.241 seconds