Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

95 GMC Jimmy Surging Idle

More
1 year 2 months ago #60247 by lwr199
My 95 Jimmy has developed a severe surging idle and stalls out. It does not want to accelerate at all. It hesitates and surges severely when trying to accelerate. Fuel pressure seems normal with the key off, 62 psi. It has the central port injector setup with one injector and 6 poppet nozzles. There are no visible leaks at the injector, poppets, or the fuel pressure regulator. I tried to what I could where it broke down, checking the fuel pressure, inspecting the injector, pulled a couple spark plugs (weren’t fouled), and I threw a new fuel filter on it with no effect. Fuel pressure regulator is only 4 months old, the diaphragm on the previous regulator failed and flooded the engine with fuel. After doing what I could in the parking lot, I nursed to the closest mechanic. They are telling me they think the egr valve is bad. There hasn’t been a check engine light and with how bad the car is running I’ll be surprised if the egr valve fixes it. They are having issues troubleshooting the car because it’s the OBD 1.5 style car and their scanners provide limited data. They are going to parts cannon an egr valve tomorrow, if it doesn’t work, does anyone have suggestions or know of a shop in the Pottstown, PA area that can help me. I don’t mind trailering the car within about 50 miles for a diagnostic.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 2 months ago #60252 by gnnova
Replied by gnnova on topic 95 GMC Jimmy Surging Idle
Have you checked for a vacuum leak? Also the IAC can get carbon fouled and cause idle issues.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.236 seconds