Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

P0103 & P0113 - Ground Wire Issue Looking for Feedback

More
1 year 3 months ago #60188 by coffeysm
I have a 2010 Nissan Altima 2.5. Last post I made was about my throttle body connector having an open and required extreme pressure to make a connection with TB attached or not.

During that troubleshooting I am assuming I brought to a light an unknown issue. KOEO with MAF unplugged I get an immediate P0113 about IAT circuit being high. It's a six wire connector with only five wires connected laid out as following:

1 - Blank
2 - 12V
3 - Ground to ECM
4 - Signal
5 - IAT 5v
6 - Ground to ECM

Pins three and six share the same ground wire that goes to the ECM. I tested the continuity from the MAF harness down to the ECM harness and for the most part it existed every time. Occasionally, it would drop out and then I plugged my MAF in, I would get the P0103 and I would see 8v on both ground wires at my meter and 5v on scan data. I could do a bypass test on the signal wire and see the changes in my scan data, so I know my computer was working. I then checked the pins again at the ECM harness and it seems like the pin from the ECM into the harness might not have a very tight connection. I have very thin probes I was testing how the resistance felt between some other pins and this pin. I also noticed sometimes I didn't have continuity unless I wiggled my probe around in the pin hole (if that makes sense).

It works now, but I am a little confused why I would have 8v show up the ground wires? Unless, the slight loose pin hole is not the issue and it's possible I have short to ground that I haven't noticed?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 3 months ago #60191 by Matt T

It works now, but I am a little confused why I would have 8v show up the ground wires? Unless, the slight loose pin hole is not the issue and it's possible I have short to ground that I haven't noticed?

Sounds like the ground was either open or high resistance because of the pin issue at ECM. When you see voltage like that on a ground wire it ain't grounded. Why 8V instead of B+ could be due to the electronics inside MAF or because the ground was high resistance rather than fully open??
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.248 seconds