Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2013 explorer 3.5 v6 question abtout rear brake pads

More
1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #60176 by Jose22
Hello
I just replaced the rear brake pads on my 2013 explorer
but i havent test drive it yet
since im waiting on other parts (not related to brakes)

but i have a few questions for you guys

As you may know
the way to retract the brakes on this suv
is to apply pressure as you turn the pistons like a bolt (except the pressure part)

but my questions are these:

Theres is a little tiny pin/nipple on the pads that is supposed to align with the notches on caliper piston

What happens if that doesn't happen?
Is that a safety issue?
or whats the purpose of that pin/nipple?
Thank you in advance for your help
Last edit: 1 year 3 months ago by Jose22.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 3 months ago #60197 by Tyler

Theres is a little tiny pin/nipple on the pads that is supposed to align with the notches on caliper piston

What happens if that doesn't happen?

Usually, a couple different things. One, the brake pedal is 'soft' or 'low' after the brake job. This happens because the caliper piston can't apply even pressure to the inboard brake pad (because of the pin), and the piston ends up flexing in its bore as the brake pedal is pressed. The flex means it takes more fluid volume/pressure to apply the brakes, thus the soft/low brake pedal.

Two, the brake pads wear unevenly, again relating back to the uneven pressure of the piston on the inboard brake pad.

Is that a safety issue?

Technically, yes, because it can have a direct impact on how well the brakes perform.

or whats the purpose of that pin/nipple?

The pin is there to make sure that, when the parking brake is applied, the caliper piston applies pressure to the pads instead of just rotating (which the piston can do if the pin isn't there). I dug up a halfway decent document that describes what's going on inside the caliper when the parking brake is applied:

cf.linnbenton.edu/eit/auto/ehlersr/uploa...lipers%20-%20All.pdf
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, Jose22

More
1 year 3 months ago #60199 by Jose22
Thank you tyler thats exactly the info i was looking for

I did check my rear brakes again and one side wasn't aligned correctly with the pin/nipple so i fixed it
Thank you again
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tyler

More
1 year 3 months ago #60215 by Tyler

Time to create page: 0.219 seconds