Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2003 chevy tahoe strange buzzing noise

More
1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #59920 by jimer1972
2003 Chevy Tahoe LT, 4 wheel drive, 5.3L V8 flex engine
Engine will not start.

A couple weeks ago my Tahoe fuel pump quit. I couldn't find one locally so I ordered a new pump and waiting for this part.

Meanwhile, the car is just sitting in my driveway. Last night I had a visitor and she says, your car is buzzing or something is running. This is happening with no key in the ignition so I have no idea what could be running. Or why it would start this on it's own.

The first thing I did was open the gas tank cap and listened. It doesn't sound like it's the fuel pump buzzing but it's really hard to tell for sure.
With the hood open, the noise seems to be emanating from the back of the engine. From the inside of the car, the noise seems to be coming from under the dash area. I'm at a loss for an answer. The car does have ride control which is the only other thing I could think of buzzing but that control is in the rear driver side behind the back wheel and there was no noise from that control unit.
I'm "not" absolutely sure it's not the fuel pump but if it was pumping the engine might start is the way I'm thinking. It wouldn't start though.

I've googled it several ways but nothing comes up definitive.

This buzzing/motor running noise started all on it's own out of the blue. Interestingly enough, last week I found out my battery was completely dead so this problem must have killed my battery then I'm guessing but pretty sure of.

I am searching for answers. Any suggestions or experience with this?

Jim
Last edit: 1 year 3 months ago by jimer1972.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 3 months ago #59925 by Batdrest
I suggest to pull out fuses one by one until the buzzing stop. After that you can check this fuse for what.

More
1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #59926 by jimer1972
Yes, I will try that.
It's strange to me that this motor running noise started while the car was parked sitting there, for 2 weeks unattended, while I've been waiting on this fuel pump.
Thanks for your reply.

Jim
Last edit: 1 year 3 months ago by jimer1972.

More
1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #59934 by Chad
What was your battery voltage when you heard this "buzzing". Low battery voltage can cause relays to click and buzz, repeatedly. After 2 weeks of sitting, it is not hard to imagine that a small parasitic draw, (a draw that would not be noticed if the car was started every day) could drain the battery enough for this to happen.

That would make the "buzzing" a symptom, and not the problem. If you hear the buzzing, again, check battery voltage. If it is low, connect a battery charger, and see if the buzzing stops.

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
Last edit: 1 year 3 months ago by Chad.

More
1 year 1 month ago #60841 by MarkBeck101
Is it the buzzing the battery or the battery the buzz, or is the spice the worms?

So a passer by said, "dude your car is buzzing", reply, "Its just happy to see you".

But, lets get serious, when the battery voltage goes down into the operation nether regions of the vehicle the relay demons come forth where they are very confused and start to oscillate on and off making a buzzing noise like they are possessed.

A relay buzz due to a battery becoming fully discharged is not uncommon. It is just the Tahoe's way of asking for help. Charge the battery and the buzz will be no more. It is possible you also have a parasitic draw which is reducing your battery stand time.

More
1 year 1 month ago #60843 by jimer1972
Yes you're right. I charged the battery and the buzzing went away.
I can only guess why the battery lost power - maybe a door was not quite closed and left a door light on. The whole thing just confused me because the car sat there untouched and then came to life with the buzzing.

Jim

Time to create page: 0.189 seconds