Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

I found a parasitic draw now what?

More
1 year 4 months ago #59503 by Jose22
I have an old 1999 dodge durango 5.9l

Long story short
i was having a problem with parasitic drain
draining my battery in just 3 hours

When car off and key out of ignition the draw was 19.3 amps
the culprit was a maxi fuse labeled ebl/pwr seat
Removed the fuse and draw went down to just 0.20-0.15 miliamps

Of course my power seat controls doesn't work now and maybe something else since i don't know what "ebl" means

But my real question here is whats the steps to fix a parasitic drain once its found?
Should i look for Short to ground or Short to power in the circuit wires?

Maybe the power seat switch/harness?

Can you guys point me in the right direction to have my power seat working again

Anything else in the truck seems to be working fine
Thank you in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 4 months ago #59505 by 70monte
If your draw is still 0.20-0.15 miliamps, then that is still too high. it should be 0.020 or less.
You really need a wiring diagram to see what else is on that fuse circuit.
Try putting the fuse back in and just unplugging the connector to the seat switch or motor which may also be on that circuit and see if your draw goes back to what it was when you just removed the fuse. Without a wiring diagram, you will be chasing your tail on what else is on that circuit.

Maybe buy a one day access to Alldata DIY so you can look at the wiring diagrams.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
1 year 4 months ago #59513 by Noah
Exactly as 70monte said, the next step is to identify the circuits and components fed by that fuse and eliminate them one at a time until the draw is less than 0.030A (30mA).
You have not yet located the parasitic drain, only the power feed to the circuit that contains the component causing the drain.
You now need a power distribution diagram.
19.3 amps is a crazy big draw! Anything pulling 20 amps is going to be either, hot, bright or loud. There's really not a whole on the car that pulls that kind of current that you wouldn't obviously notice remaining on.
If that measurement is accurate, I would probably disconnect the alternator before even looking up a diagram or checking fuses.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
1 year 4 months ago #59515 by Jose22
Thank you guys for your answers and sorry what i meant to say (write) is 20-15 miliamps

And by the way i just checked this morning and its still good about 13 miliamps

I know 19 amps is a lot of draw thats why my battery was draining very fast no wonder when i tried to connect negative terminal was sparking more than normal

So i will take your advice and look for the wiring diagram for that circuit and start there

But besides being a bad power seat control module
Can a short to ground or short to power in the wiring can cause this problem?
Am i on the right path?
Thank you

More
1 year 4 months ago #59516 by ptebo1
The rear defrost grid draws about 18-19 Amps from what others have reported on identifix. Try dis-connecting the rear defrost switch, and see what happens.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
1 year 4 months ago #59519 by 70monte
Is the 13 Ma with the fuse back in with the seat connector unplugged?

A short to ground would cause the fuse to blow and there would be no draw because the circuit would no longer have any power on it.

A short to power could possibly cause it by it's doubtful that is the cause. It would have to be shorted to a power source that has power all of the time and more than likely you would have damaged wires somewhere that would affect more than just the power seats.

I would put the fuse back in and then unplug the seat connector and see what you have. Is this seat connector going to the power seat module?

A wiring diagram is going to be key in tracking this down.

More
1 year 4 months ago #59531 by Jose22

The rear defrost grid draws about 18-19 Amps from what others have reported on identifix. Try dis-connecting the rear defrost switch, and see what happens.

Thank you "ptebo1" this was great info and after a little more research on my own i can confirm that you are spot on and the rear defroster is part of the circuit too

More
1 year 4 months ago #59532 by Jose22

Is the 13 Ma with the fuse back in with the seat connector unplugged

No the fuse is out and i haven't disconnect anything yet as i was trying to get more info first also the suv is running good for now and best of all no more dead battery

A short to ground would cause the fuse to blow and there would be no draw because the circuit would no longer have any power on it.

A short to power could possibly cause it by it's doubtful that is the cause. It would have to be shorted to a power source that has power all of the time and more than likely you would have damaged wires somewhere that would affect more than just the power seats.

I would put the fuse back in and then unplug the seat connector and see what you have. Is this seat connector going to the power seat module?

A wiring diagram is going to be key in tracking this down.

thank you for the short to ground/power explanation and thank you all for the replys and help

Now that i know a little more about this issue im going to start working on it once i have some free time
since i work late on weekdays but i promised to keep you guys informed

More
1 year 4 months ago - 1 year 4 months ago #59596 by Jose22
Ok guys found the problem

As "ptebo1" suggested problem is in the rear defroster circuit
I disconnected the wiring and put back the fuse and no more 19 amps parasitic draw

I still have to check if wiring or the switch is to blame but i think i can take it from here

Thank you very much for all the replys and for pointing me in the right direction
Last edit: 1 year 4 months ago by Jose22.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, ptebo1

More
1 year 4 months ago #59614 by 70monte
Glad to hear that you found the which component on the circuit is the problem.

Time to create page: 0.227 seconds