Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

KIA Soul--Cranks, but No-Start Condition

More
1 year 5 months ago - 1 year 5 months ago #59100 by Judo64
2010 KIA Soul: 2.0L engine.

Greetings Readers,

I replaced the water pump and timing belt due to overheating. To replace the water pump, you must remove the timing belt--might as well put a new timing belt on at this stage. After both replacement, the car started and I drove around for three days. I parked the car to check the engine overheating condition again and it was the cooling fan. Then the next day the car would not start. I checked the fuses and relays. Made my own wiring tester and they all checked good but one--replaced.

I received an error with our code reader as P0016 for Camshaft/Crankshaft Position Sensor failure. Replaced both sensors. I have searched high and low on the Internet for Start/No-Run Condition for our KIA Soul. I can not see what was going on in the engine. I ended up buying a Launch X.431 Scanner since it has bi-directional capability. It is supposed to be able to do Camshaft/Crankshaft Relearning, according to the Launch engineer. Not found it yet.

I can only see 64.85* on the scanner (See attached screenshot). Battery checks OK with less parasidic draw. I have spark, but not sure if I am getting fuel even when I sprayed Carburetor Cleaner in the throttle body. Banged on the gas tank since I am Deaf and can not hear the fuel pump running. I did not go any further until I am able to use the Launch scanner correctly. I can not afford a PICO 4425 Oscilloscope to do any electrical work as Ivan from Pine Hollow Automotive Diagnostics swears by the product as shown on his YouTube videos.

So my question to you is what can a DIY home mechanic of 30-40 years do other than having just a Bi-directional scanner and troubleshooting knowledge on older cars? I will have to subscribe to AllData to get Electrical Schematic since the Chilton's Manual does not have it for my vehicle. Anyone experienced with a Launch X.431 scanner know where to find Camshaft/Crankshaft Relearning?

Thank you in advance for your valuable time.
Attachments:
Last edit: 1 year 5 months ago by Judo64. Reason: Accidentally hit enter without finishing my post.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 5 months ago #59111 by Judo64
I understand your point of view. I do not assume anything or guess. That is why I stopped in this progress. How could the timing belt be installed incorrectly if it ran good for three days? That is why I needed to use the Launch X.431 Scanner to ensure the timing belt is aligned with the camshaft/crankshaft with the position sensors. Second, the gears are aligned with the two marks. I have pulled the timing belt off/on about 5 times while I adjusted the timing belt tensioner. Third, how do you check for a vacuum when the engine does not run?

Thank you in advance for your reply.

More
1 year 5 months ago #59118 by Judo64
@ Mondie

That is OK. It was your thought process in the moment. I, too, explored the basic and when it comes to electronics, we are screwed time wise. However, Paul aka ScannerDanner and Ivan from Pine Hollow Auto Diagnostics have always found most issues with wirings. I enjoyed when Paul got the dump truck started because of a grounding issue gthat I would never have thought of the 5 volt reference.

Thanks for your valuable time and shared your thought process. The more input that I get, a resolution to the start/no crank issue will eventually happen. Just not an immediate fix.

Donald

More
1 year 5 months ago #59120 by Judo64
@ Mondie

That is what I am trying to resolve the timing issue with the Launch Scanner. Did the fuel check with the Carb Cleaner and still did not start. Compression is good on all four cylinders.

Last, I contacted Launch company and they said that I should be able to do the Camshaft/Crankshaft Relearn in the special function. I do not see it for my make/model. Second, you can not look at other vehicles not connected to OBD2.

Launch Scanner see attached. You can not test other vehicles for the special function w/o Bluetooth dongle plugged into the OBD2.

My next course of action is to subscribe to AllData and pay for the year instead of a month since it is cheaper. this way I have information about the electrical/electronic system.

Will post my findings later.

Later!
Attachments:

More
1 year 5 months ago #59123 by VegasJAK
"How could the timing belt be installed incorrectly if it ran good for three days?"

Timing is only off a tooth, maybe two. Recheck the timing marks.

"an open mind let's knowledge flow in and wisdom flow out for a man who has neither never listens to those who have both".
Being wrong doesn't bother me, it's being right and not understanding why that does
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monde

More
1 year 5 months ago #59129 by Judo64
I already checked and they are on the mark. Thanks for your suggestion though.

More
1 year 5 months ago #59130 by Judo64
Greetings Readers,

I found our from Launch that our Launch X.431 V will not do a Cam/Crankshaft Relearn. I originally sent them our VIN and asked them if the scanner will be able to do that function and their engineer said yes. So we ordered the scanner. Upon receipt of our scanner, the function does not exist.

Today I learned that our KIA Soul does not have the ability to do a Cam/Crankshaft Relearn. I ordered the AllData subscription and downloaded a lot of information relating to powers and grounds as well as Camshaft Position Sensor (CMPS) and Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKPS) electrical information.

AllData suggested to use an oscilloscope, which they provided the oscilloscope patterns and waveforms. Unfortunately I can not afford the PICO oscilloscope to use whenever our vehicle breaks down electrically.

I will post my findings after I go through the troubleshooting. What a PIA newer cars with modules and electronics.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monde

Time to create page: 0.194 seconds