Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2005 Ford 6.0l Powerstroke Mistory Misfire

More
1 year 4 months ago #58999 by LCDiesel
Dealing with some sort of Electrical issue on this diesel 2005 Ford 6.0 Powerstroke

- truck came in for new injectors. Installed 155cc Injectors with stock nozzles from Warren Diesel.
- Truck still had a misfire, found shorts in injector wiring harness. Replaced it, still runs poorly.
- Truck has upgraded stand pipes and dummy plugs, all new injector seals, o rings, valve cover gaskets, etc.
- We load tested all the power n grounds going to the PCM and they checked out good
- Load tested all the power & ground wires going to the FICM, all tested out good
- Load tested injector wiring harness again just to make sure.
- Truck runs great when COLD, about 7-10 miles into the drive, the truck starts running like crap. Misfiring, not idling correctly, etc.

- We werent getting a single DTC
- Performed Injector Buzz Test, only hearing (4) loud clicks consistently. The cylinders that are not clicking are Injectors (1, 4, 6 & 7) are not clicking.
- Replaced that small circuit board in the FICM and we still have same issues, BUT! we are finally getting some DTC's now.
1. P0113 - Crankshaft positioning sensor circuit
2. P0262-Cylinder #1 injector circuit high
3. P0271-Cylinder #4 injector circuit high
4. P0277-Cylinder #6 injector circuit high
5. P0288-Cylinder #7 injector circuit high

- Inspected Cam & Crank sensor. Load tested all wires going to both sensors. Even verified we were getting FICM Sync = Yes and Cam & Crank were in sync and verified we were seeing/reading RPM.
- Checked to see if each sensor had the 0.7v when back pinning PCM
- Replaced Cam sensor because it was check and it wasnt quite within the desired range of ohms.
- Truck is still not starting.

- Performed Injector Buzz test and there is still (4) cylinders not clicking.
- Assuming the entire FICM needs to be replaced. Just wanted to get some input from others on what they think it might be.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 4 months ago #59002 by Tyler
If you're confident in the injector wiring, and you've already load tested the FICM powers/grounds, then I think you're ready for a FICM.

Only thing I can think of would be to ohm out both coils on all of the injectors from the FICM connectors. I see that it's got new injectors and harnesses, but that doesn't mean they're good. I don't know the spec off the top of my head, but I'd expect less than 2-3 ohms. If in doubt, you can always compare 1-4-6-7 to any of the other injectors for a known good reference.

Also make sure that there's nothing physically wrong with the FICM connectors, especially C1388a. That connector serves your faulted injectors and nothing else. I've seen more than one of those come in with broken lock tabs and/or bent FICM pins.

More
1 year 4 months ago #59014 by LCDiesel
I agree! We did load test the new injector wiring harness just to be safe. Even replaced it twice. Had a cheaper one on there, then put a name brand one on there. Load tested both. Idk if these injectors have different specs when ohm'ing them out. Ill double check.
For good measure, ill compare all the injectors again and double check. What is weird is that i even sent the injectors back after i noticed some werent clicking. Come to find out, I guess one solenoid went bad.

If you're confident in the injector wiring, and you've already load tested the FICM powers/grounds, then I think you're ready for a FICM.

Only thing I can think of would be to ohm out both coils on all of the injectors from the FICM connectors. I see that it's got new injectors and harnesses, but that doesn't mean they're good. I don't know the spec off the top of my head, but I'd expect less than 2-3 ohms. If in doubt, you can always compare 1-4-6-7 to any of the other injectors for a known good reference.

Also make sure that there's nothing physically wrong with the FICM connectors, especially C1388a. That connector serves your faulted injectors and nothing else. I've seen more than one of those come in with broken lock tabs and/or bent FICM pins.

More
1 year 4 months ago #59015 by LCDiesel
So they sent me all new injectors again, still doing same thing. Thats when we replaced the board in the FICM and finally started to get some codes for the injectors.

More
1 year 4 months ago #59055 by LCDiesel
Ended up replacing the FICM entirely. Truck runs great now

Time to create page: 0.209 seconds