Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Fuel composition reset

More
1 year 4 months ago #58982 by Feeder64
I have a 2011gmc 3500hd with the 6.0 gas engine. Long story short I am trying to reset the fuel composition. I have used 3 different scan tools with no luck. Says alcohol content is. 0.5. I have tried doing the reset right after a fuel up with no luck. I am using premium fuel with no ethanol right now but would like to go back to 10% for the cheaper gas. Thank you. No trouble codes or drivability problems. And the 0.5 is consistent with all scan tool and has not changed at all.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 4 months ago #58983 by Matt T
Replied by Matt T on topic Fuel composition reset
0.5% might be what it resets to, and stays at if there ain't any corn squeezings in the gas. It's not something I'd loose any sleep over if there aren't any driveability problems.

Also FWIW is this happening with 3 unrelated scan tools? Launch, Thinktool and Topdon are same, chinese, software different tablet.......

More
1 year 4 months ago #58984 by Feeder64
Replied by Feeder64 on topic Fuel composition reset
2 scan tool were launch but different models and snap on solus. I have alldatdiy it says it should reset to 3%. It stays at the .5 regardless of fuel. I've even tried 85% ethanol once got a lean code with that. Yeah not a problem just curious. I've seen a lot about the composition getting stuck high but not stuck low like this. Thanks for the response

More
1 year 4 months ago #58985 by Matt T
Replied by Matt T on topic Fuel composition reset
Alldata might be wrong but it's interesting that the fuel composition doesn't move. Maybe the truck isn't flex fuel? Window sticker or the RPO label might help there. Or it's possible the truck has a tune on it which has disabled fuel composition learning??

More
1 year 4 months ago #58986 by Feeder64
All scenarios are possible. Didn't think about the rpo code it does say fho so only up to 10% but 8th digit in the vin is g I thought that was flex. I bought the truck used so no idea on tuner. But it still should be able to adjust up to the 10% correct even though it's not a flex. That's what I was thinking that something in the pcm is not allowing for adjustment be it a tuner or whatever. I'm just a shade tree mechanic so I don't know alot. Thanks again for the help.

More
1 year 4 months ago #58991 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Fuel composition reset
From what I can tell, VIN G on this truck can be either flex or gas. :silly:

If you can get the calibration ID's and CVN's from Mode $09 in Global OBD (all of the scan tools you named will do this), you can check them against GM TIS to see if it's had a tuner installed. ;)

tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web/

More
1 year 4 months ago #58992 by Feeder64
Thank you for that link. All my numbers matched against what the website had.

More
1 year 4 months ago #58996 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Fuel composition reset

Thank you for that link. All my numbers matched against what the website had.

No problem. Not a huge help, but it's nice to have that suspect crossed off the list.

Time to create page: 0.214 seconds