Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Quick question about ECU drivers

More
1 year 5 months ago #58862 by Dmichnick
I was wondering if a ECU driver that grounds a circuit can have an intermittent problem. I'm working on a car that when the ECU grounds the circuit I'm looking at, it will intermittently lose the ground. The ground is dropping out just for about a second then comes back. I checked all computer grounds under load, and they all where good. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 5 months ago #58864 by PDM
Broken solder joint can cause it. Is there any correlation to heat? Where is the ecu located and is it worse / better when the car warms up?

Can you monitor two of these drivers at a time to tell if it's isolated to just this one?

More
1 year 5 months ago #58865 by EM
Replied by EM on topic Quick question about ECU drivers
What year is the vehicle you are working on? What type of output are you dealing with? Have you checked the current being drawn on the circuit with an oscilloscope? For modern ECUs some OEMs have a design requirement that for certain output devices in the presence of a fault the module only temporarily disable the output, but continuously 'retry'. For example, when the circuit is drawing excessive current the module's internal circuit protection will kick in, but per design requirements will wait a short duration before re-energizing.
You could try to use a power resistor in place of the output device and see if the driver exhibits the same behavior. To eliminate other variables try to use a resistor value that would give a current around the value you'd expect on that circuit for a good representative test.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tyler

More
1 year 5 months ago - 1 year 5 months ago #58876 by ElaineBaggett
Same problem happen with me any suggestions about it. I am a college student who is tired of reading books all the time. I was looking online for study apps for smartphone and came across a website www.concept-phones.com/news/top-5-best-s...-in-your-smartphone/ that helps me find the best study apps for my mobile. It is a really great website that helps me find the best apps for my mobile and I am really enjoying it.
Last edit: 1 year 5 months ago by ElaineBaggett.

Time to create page: 0.197 seconds