Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

AC ripple peak to peak check

More
1 year 7 months ago - 1 year 7 months ago #58581 by v12aml
02 Aston DB7 (ford eecv). Car is getting a P0350 (undetermined coil circuit code), this shouldn’t happen under normal circumstances. it seems to only happen when the CKP/CMP signals are being messed with.

Both similar circumstances I can find on the internet were supposedly resolved with a new alternator.

Car is also setting random network codes in ABS/PATS and speed sensor codes when driving but can sit there KOEO forever. Decided to check AC ripple at alt B+ straight to B-.

Is this peak to peak enough to interfere with VRS sensors?
Attachments:
Last edit: 1 year 7 months ago by v12aml.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 7 months ago #58584 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic AC ripple peak to peak check
Just eyeballing your captures, it looks like there's 300-400mV AC ripple. That's definitely on the upper end of the allowable range.

There are a couple different things that can cause high ripple. A failing alternator is one. A weak battery and/or excessive electrical load is another. The battery and/or loads can increase ripple by forcing the alternator to turn up the field strength in an attempt to achieve the regulator voltage. More output - more ripple. How old is the battery? Were there a lot of electrical loads turned on when you took your measurement?

How quickly does your P0350 or speed sensor/network codes reset if you clear them? If it's pretty quickly, then you could simply try unplugging the alternator and seeing if the problem goes away. You could even go for a short trip around the block if the battery is in good condition.

More
1 year 7 months ago - 1 year 7 months ago #58613 by v12aml
Replied by v12aml on topic AC ripple peak to peak check
during that whole 1 hour diag it disappeared with the regulator plugged in and unplugged. took it out of park drove it back on the rack it came right back…. I also have a waveform of the CMP it looked just fine.

Later on when I was reading ABS data with my scan tool it decided to quit communicating as soon as I revved to 2k in D rear wheels hanging off the rack…

hopped on identifix and iatn as a 2000 crown vic (same abs module). several instances of u1009 + 1027 codes, random stall which are this car’s symptoms. all seem to be related to spiking coils killing the SCP network.

one tech was suffering this same issue and it decided to cough up that same unusual p0350 code that they were able to track it down to #6..

i’m think i’m going to have to current ramp these coils with a trigger at a driver. at least it has a power feed for each set of 6 so that makes my life easier.
Last edit: 1 year 7 months ago by v12aml.

Time to create page: 0.216 seconds