Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

1998 Chevrolet K1500 Vortec 350 L31 w/MPFI Spider & new camshaf - MISFIRES/P0430

More
1 year 8 months ago #58043 by REM
I have changed the stock camshaft from:

STOCK CAM : 191 / 196 414/428 lift on 111 LSA

TO:

203 / 203 450/450 lift on 112 LSA - this camshaft has a lobe off an earlier (203/210 corvette camshaft)

Truck has good drivability right now ( runs good and can lay down rubber when power braking ) except: - 1) sometimes stalls when I put it in gear when it is cold and 2) hunts very occasionally in gear when hot - by hunt I mean a cyclic surging against the brake pedal.

Has been setting catalytic converter efficiency P0430 code and I noticed in the HP Tuners diagnostics - that there seems to be random misfires. (see below)

The engine is a fresh rebuild with 5-10K miles, I have added all new wires, IAC, cap, rotor, coil and even the MPVI efi "spider" has been replaced . I have not replaced the plugs yet - but am wondering if the misfires are from the 1) airflow and fuel map being off because of the slightly larger camshaft - IE lower engine vacuum at low rpm throwing off the fuel map. ( IE too rich at idle ), or 2) the misfire monitor picking up uneven crankshaft rotation speed from the slightly larger camshaft, or 3) or a vacuum leak on the stock MPFI manifold? Wondering if the CAT code is a simultaneous fault with the misfire, or related - IE the misfire causing the CAT code.

QUESTION: With a vacuum leak what would the fuel trims look like percentage wise?

Seems like this cam is a small step over stock and indeed the truck runs pretty/very good - only stumbles and stalls when cold occasionally ( like a bad IAC valve) and it hunts against the brake in gear occasionally. I also have added 1.6 rockers in addition to the .450 lift on the regrind. The stock cam is really puny.

Any ideas appreciated - thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
1 year 8 months ago #58161 by Noah
Do you think may need a higher stall converter with that camshaft?

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
1 year 8 months ago #58166 by REM
No way - the cam actually runs great - great off idle torque and relatively smooth idle ..Im prolly going to replace the intake gasket after I check it with propane or starting fluid .. Just got some felpro MS98000 T gasket on the cheap - thank you amazon warehouse deals ..

Time to create page: 0.272 seconds