Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

shorted coil

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #8917 by yorman harol.a
shorted coil was created by yorman harol.a
hi guys , working 2007 hyundai getz. misfire two cilinders , this car has two coil . when i mesured the current for every coil i saw this

Quite so!
it has a coil in short , jus that i have never seen that wayform ,¿ what

do you think ?

caracas, Venezuela
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #8945 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic shorted coil
I'm sorry, I'm a bit unfamiliar with your scope... What kind of voltage scale did you have on this capture? Just interested in the maximum height of the current ramp you posted. I'd expect a normal waste spark coil to draw around 6 - 8 amps, but it appears that yours was only drawing about 1 amp? Could be looking at it wrong. :blush:

The ramp itself doesn't look so unusual, but it'd be easier to see detail if it were zoomed in a bit more. Here's a good example I grabbed from Paul's book, section 22:

When you say the coil has a short, what do you mean exactly? Is it producing weak spark out of both secondary towers?
Attachments:

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #8977 by yorman harol.a
Replied by yorman harol.a on topic shorted coil
hi man , thank for your answer . ok basically im using 1008 hanteck oscope , the scale is 1 amp per division . i know that the waveform is too low , as you can see in the top picture maxim reading was 1.amp . but for any reason this car works like this . i gonna show you the other coil (well-known coil)

as you can see the reading is almost the same 791 mili amps . what i meant with shorted coil is , in the bad coil i see a straigh up line .

caracas, Venezuela
Attachments:

More
7 years 2 weeks ago - 7 years 2 weeks ago #8982 by Andy.MacFadyen
Replied by Andy.MacFadyen on topic shorted coil
There is no way any wasted spark coil draws such a low current and produces a spark --- typical would be 10amps peak.
You need to do a sanity on your current clamp setup -- either the scope or the clamp is on the wrong scale. If it is a Hantek curent clamp problems with the range switch are not unkown.
I would do a sanity check measuring the current through a head lamp bulb which should be around 4 amps.

Wasted spark plug top coil on an MG-Rover

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 2 weeks ago by Andy.MacFadyen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yorman harol.a

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #8983 by borntoroll
Replied by borntoroll on topic shorted coil
Yep, must be something wrong with multiplier like 7,9 amps and not 790 mA. Easy check with a lightbulb 55watt at 12v draws almost 4,5 amps of current

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #8985 by Andy.MacFadyen
Replied by Andy.MacFadyen on topic shorted coil
Primary & Secondary on an MG-Rover Wasted spark plug top coil

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.202 seconds