Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Toyota Prado code 12

More
1 year 8 months ago #57852 by Mattar
Toyota Prado code 12 was created by Mattar
Hello, I hope everything is going well? I have a 1998 Toyota Prado it is the 90 series and the model of it is the rzj95r. The type of engine it has is the 3rz-fe 2.7 litre 4 cylinder engine. The Prado is manual and a four wheel drive. I have pulled a fault code 12. The symptoms of what the car is doing is this, when the car is cold I start the car and in about 10 seconds or less the car would stop but if I start the car and press on the accelerator and keep it there for about 30 seconds to 1 min then left my foot off the accelerator it will stay running. I did notice that the tachometer does not move at all and that the check engine light stays on. I am starting with the crankshaft positioning sensor, I do not know if that is where I should start. With this sensor I do not know if it is a hall effect or a inductive sensor in the repair manual it does not say. On the sensor it self it has 3 wires that connects to a 3 male pin connector there is 2 wires that actually connects to the sensor itself and to the male connector the 3rd wire connects to the male connector but does not connect to the sensor. I believe this wire might a shield wire but I am not sure.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 8 months ago #57853 by Mattar
Replied by Mattar on topic Toyota Prado code 12
I also live in Australia

More
1 year 8 months ago #57855 by mashili
Replied by mashili on topic Toyota Prado code 12
Does it have a distributor or pick up coils

More
1 year 8 months ago #57857 by Mattar
It has a distributor

More
1 year 8 months ago #57858 by Mattar
Yes it has a distributor

More
1 year 8 months ago #57875 by mashili
Replied by mashili on topic Toyota Prado code 12
Code 12 for Toyota is a faulty distributor

More
1 year 8 months ago #57876 by Mattar
So it would then have nothing to do with the crankshaft position sensor? And another question is the crankshaft position sensor that is in that car a hall effect or a inductive type sensor?

More
1 year 8 months ago #57891 by Mattar
Here is a picture of the distributor rotor, would this cause the fault

Time to create page: 0.191 seconds