Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0L Crank No Start

More
1 year 9 months ago #57205 by PSHACK
Hi, I have a 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0L. When I turn the key over it will crank but I'm not getting any spark to the engine. I checked the voltage to the coil and only get .007V. I traced the wire heading back to the ECU and back probed the plug and get 4.6V. I then tested continuity on the positive wire going from the ECU to the coil and got 55ohms, on the ground/negative side I got .5ohms.

I don't have communication with the ECU, but I didn't have communication with the ECU even when the car was running. I'm assuming I should get 12V coming from the ECU to the coil, but I don't know. Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 9 months ago #57208 by Tyler
Hey PSHACK! I snipped this part of the OE wiring diagram for reference:

All voltage testing at the coil needs to be done with the engine cranking, as the ASD relay won't be energized otherwise. With a test light connected to B-, the dark green/orange wire should light brightly. Test light connected to battery positive, the black/grey wire should pulse quickly. These tests can be done with the coil plugged in or unplugged.

Report back with what you've found and we can test further. :cheer:

More
1 year 9 months ago #57215 by PSHACK
Hey, Tyler! I hooked up a test light to B-, to the dark green/orange wire and cranked the engine and it did not light up at all. I then hooked the test light to B+, to the black/grey wire and the light pulsed quickly.

More
1 year 9 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago #57234 by Tyler

Hey, Tyler! I hooked up a test light to B-, to the dark green/orange wire and cranked the engine and it did not light up at all. I then hooked the test light to B+, to the black/grey wire and the light pulsed quickly.

Good! The pulsing on the black/grey means the PCM is trying to fire the coil. That suggests the PCM is alive and getting CKP input.

The missing power on the dark green/orange gives us good direction. Your next stop is fuse #20 in the Power Distribution Center (underhood fuse box). Your test light connected to B- should light on both sides of the fuse. Key on, key off, cranking, doesn't matter.

If fuse #20 is good, we'll need to dig into the ASD relay itself. If fuse #20 is popped, slap another one in there and see if it pops immediately. :silly: If it doesn't, see if the engine will start.
Last edit: 1 year 9 months ago by Tyler.

More
1 year 8 months ago #57388 by PSHACK
I finally got a chance to test fuse #20 and it was popped I threw a new one in there and it started right up. Drove it all today and haven't had it pop again. Do you think I should look into why it popped or do you think it was just a fluke? Threw me off when I checked it with an ohm meter. Helps to pull the fuse out so as not to get a false ready. I appreciate your help and time. Thank you, Tyler!

More
1 year 8 months ago #57389 by Tyler
Awesome! Glad to hear it's up and running again.

I would definitely spend at least some time digging into why the fuse blew. It's not likely to be a fluke, IMO, and it might leave you stranded if it pops again. :unsure:

ScannerDanner actually made a video series on this issue about 10 years ago. :silly: Definitely check it out for ideas on where to go with your short circuit testing:

Time to create page: 0.187 seconds